Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Coyote impact opinions

Blackbeard

Oak Hill, OH
Interested to hear everyone's opinions on how much impact coyotes have on deer populations. I've read varying opinions here and there. My situation is this- I own 35 acres and hunt it and several other properties. I'm most concerned about the coyote population on my property. The 35 acres is surrounded by a large track of leased pines on two sides and a 10 year old clear cut on the third side. The coyote population has seemed to explode the last two years. I used to hear them occasionally but now I hear them on my property and the adjacent properties every evening. And not just one or two, but several. And with pup season taking place right now I think, the sounds are even more numerous. I also hear them across the road from my property. While the deer population around here seems to be pretty decent despite the slaughter of does for a few seasons prior to this year, I'm becoming concerned about the coyotes. I know the best way to thin them is to snare them but I'm wondering what your thoughts are as to how proactive, or reactive, I should be at this point.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
If you are not proactive, you will have no choice but to be reactive later. Just my opinion.

Redvette

NW Ohio
Coyotes are adaptive and will rear litters based on population meaning cut them down and the remaining,(and there will be remaining), will have larger litters. I think when deer hunting you're better off shooting what you need to not what you can. Coyote will take fawns,(virtually no healthy adult), but every doe we shoot because we can I believe does as much if not more damage as the coyotes. If you're going to snare this time of year,(fur bearing seasons except for muskrat in specific areas is over an furs are rubbed), you better know what you're doing and hanging them high enough that none targets aren't going to get caught and possibly choked out. Just my Opinion.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Coyotes are adaptive and will rear litters based on population meaning cut them down and the remaining,(and there will be remaining), will have larger litters. I think when deer hunting you're better off shooting what you need to not what you can. Coyote will take fawns,(virtually no healthy adult), but every doe we shoot because we can I believe does as much if not more damage as the coyotes. If you're going to snare this time of year,(fur bearing seasons except for muskrat in specific areas is over an furs are rubbed), you better know what you're doing and hanging them high enough that none targets aren't going to get caught and possibly choked out. Just my Opinion.

I am not real experienced here so please help me out. Wouldn't this put you in the position of possibility of snaring some deer as well?

I dont think c oyotes have as big of an impact on deer populations as people give them credit for. However with this every cold long winter, 5 years of mismanaged does permits, and a large coyote population could be the perfect storm situation. Coyotes have had a large impact on small game.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I am not real experienced here so please help me out. Wouldn't this put you in the position of possibility of snaring some deer as well?

Ohio has a law that requires deer stops on snares. Its a nut or other piece of steel crimped on the snare so it stops at a 2 1/2 inch diameter so a deer can get its leg out. Although rare, a deer with its nose to the ground have been known to be snared. I try to place most of mine on trails that have overhanging brush and are obviously not used by deer. Maybe that's why I haven't caught shit in a month Lol.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Ohio has a law that requires deer stops on snares. Its a nut or other piece of steel crimped on the snare so it stops at a 2 1/2 inch diameter so a deer can get its leg out. Although rare, a deer with its nose to the ground have been known to be snared. I try to place most of mine on trails that have overhanging brush and are obviously not used by deer. Maybe that's why I haven't caught shit in a month Lol.

You are correct and I am aware of this. My question is more in regards to the height of the snare. It was my understanding the height off the ground has been the culprit for some of the deer snared in the past. Would the higher height increase the odds of snaring a deer? Deer stops or not, I know there have been some deer perish to snares. This was my concern and reason for asking the question. I am really not up to speed on these and trying to learn prior to setting any in the future.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Coyotes will get the unhealthy deer or one that is wounded and fawns. But a grown healthy deer isn't likely. If you want deer stop shooting the does. As far as the coyote numbers they are only to get worse. I just hope our herd adapts.

I don't know about you guys but I've seen enough video, trail camera picture sequences and heard stories of single and packs of coyotes taking completely healthy deer down. This snow with how crusty and icy it's gotten doesn't help a deer in this situation either. The last several years we have had more and more packs of coyotes sounding off and I am sure they have had an impact on our deer population down there. Just to hear stories of people putting trail cams over coyote dens and seeing upwards of 28 fawns getting drug into them in one summer should clearly tell anyone that they DO have a marked impact. There is no doubt in my mind that they, along with the liberal deer tags, have had more of an impact than I ever realized.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
You fellas that think coyotes kill only young or unhealthy are believing a myth. When a coyote decides to kill a deer, they persue at a steady pace. The deer makes a short fast escape...the coyote presses on. Eventually the deer wears down, the coyote does not. The first coyote I ever killed with a bow was doing this very thing. The doe he was chasing was so exhausted, she stood 50 yards from me and watched as I climbed down and recovered the yote. Coyotes are pro's, don't ever doubt that!

yotehunter

spencerville oh
I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but most are fawns and unhealthy. And yes coyotes have huge stamina but 90 percent of there diet is small game, mice , birds,and a lot of fox. They do play hell on the fawns and that's where our deer have dwindled and the liberal permits are killing more deer than the coyotes. Michigan has had coyotes for decades and decades and their herd size has ant dwindled at a alarming rate like Ohio has. Southern Illinois is a prime example or Iowa these states have very healthy herds and coyotes are everywhere out there. The liberal tags and odnr and insurance companies are the reason our numbers took a shit. Coyotes have been in Ohio for a long time, and they are here too stay. The more you kill of them the more there is. But the demise of our deer herd is due to the fact of the hunters killing every thing they see. And worse yet the state let's them do it.

Michigan has had coyotes for decades and decades and their herd size has ant dwindled at a alarming rate like Ohio has.

That isn't entirely true. In the UP they were prevalent for a good while and there were always reports of coyotes preying on deer up there during the winters as they were easier for them to kill since they were yarded up. Now the wolf has taken over up there. In the central LP of Michigan we never even heard of a coyote until the late 90's and at the same time that's when our deer numbers on that property there took a shit. It's only been the last 5-8 years that we have heard of them in our area of SE Mich. and even more recent in the area we hunt further up in the Thumb. Around our place deer numbers aren't even close to what they used to be. The last two years the farmer there in the Thumb where we hunt has spotted on numerous occasions small packs of coyotes trying to run down a healthy looking deer. One occasion right behind their barns within 50 yards. Wouldn't you know it too, the deer numbers in that area are way down the last two years. Now sure, the MDNR basically had unlimited antlerless deer permits running, but it has been like that for years too. Only since the coyotes have taken hold real well have our deer numbers in places started to plummet.

You can't kill enough coyotes! They're worse than any groundhog population, any where, any time. Do coyotes impact the deer populations? Hell yes!!!

I have landowners that I hunt on their properties, that have trail cameras by coyote dens and have counted any where from 4 to 9 fawns being brought back to feed the pups...on two separate dens, just last year. This kind of killing will ruin a deer population, in short order!

I stopped shooting does, 3 years ago and I don't think it was soon enough. Last fall, I seen 2 does during the entire season. In years past, it was not uncommon to see 5 to 8 does per week.

Some guys will stop hunting coyotes during the spring months to give the pups a chance to get weaned from their mothers. Not me! :smiley_armscrossed: I'll kill them 24/7 and show them the same mercy they show the fawns...NONE! I want them off of the planet. :smiley_arrogant:

Bowhunter57

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
1st... I will go on record that given the chance, I will kill a yote at every legal opportunity.

2ed... Just a general question. I wonder what the average daily meat intake would be for an adult male or female. I realize that they have gorge feasts and lean times through the year. (but) How many pounds of red meat a year will he/she take from a given home territory...( your home hunting grounds.)...in squirrels, rabbits, mice, chipmunks,cats, dogs and yes, deer ?

( How large is a coyote territory?)

You will see the cycles between wabbits and hawk/owl populations. Years of high rabbit populations always are followed by higher bird counts the following year or two. In the long haul, nature will balance things out. We stand about as good a chance of wiping these things out as they have in killing off the "wild pig" population in the south.

So until nature gets a grip on this one, I'm rooting for the deer and small game side and will kill every yote I have the opportunity to do.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
These guys that are finding these dens and putting up cameras should be trying to figure out a way to wipe the den out. How many pics of fawns do you need to see before any action is taken? Its not like you have to look for them there in the f-ing hole. Burn the sumbitches!!!!

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
These guys that are finding these dens and putting up cameras should be trying to figure out a way to wipe the den out. How many pics of fawns do you need to see before any action is taken? Its not like you have to look for them there in the f-ing hole. Burn the sumbitches!!!!

Damn right. Put a 10 pound can of tannerite in front of it and blow the fuggers up!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I was sort of wondering the same. BH57 seems to be our most tenacious coyote hunter (at least verbally). Just seems like it would be time when the camera is over a den witnessing such acts to strike. Have you had any success BH57? I know you. I am not afraid to call you out on it. mischeif.gif

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Last year I damn near ran over 3 pups on my quad. The mom took off and left them in the field. I chased after one on foot but lost it in some thick briars lol