Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Garden Thread

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Coming along nicely especially since I was behind. The big garden (30×60) was started all from seed. Needs fenced as something is eating the beans.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
My second round of tomatoes are growing in standing water and drowning as a result. Great learning curve this year on garden architecture!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I should write them down, but I just keep it all internalized. The big issue this year is one, how much rain we've had and two, I moved the maters to the low side of the garden and they are in soil that's mostly clay. AND... I left the soaker hose on the night of July 1 and we've had several inches of rain since. It's been saturated since the first of the month as a result.

I bought a timer for the house... lmao

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
You rocked the shit outa that garden last year! That was nothing short of impressive.

That's definitely the best layout. I think my issue with corn was bad seed. This new stuff is thriving! Also, with the cucumbers and squash in mounds built on top of the clay, they did well in what's proven to be a problematic area. With us moving there next year, I can walk 150' off the back deck and be there to tend it, so that will help big time going forward. I may plant the corn in a separate location next year so I can expand my bean production. I'd also like to plant some taters next year too.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Tomatoes, cucumbers, and squashes are doing awesome. My peppers are not liking all the rain and having some rot on the leaves. Hopefully they can turn around.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Tomatoes, cucumbers, and squashes are doing awesome. My peppers are not liking all the rain and having some rot on the leaves. Hopefully they can turn around.

Exact same deal here. My peppers need some heat dammit! Broccoli, Cabbage, and eggplant are enormous as well. Not to mention weeds are terrible. I'm getting the black mesh next year and be done with all the weeding.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
It'll be soon...I'll have a bunch of seedless blackberries.

This patch is thornless also. 8ft across and 20ft long.
20170713_111828.jpg20170713_111901.jpg

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
God, I can hear my Dad now: "what, bikes don't come with a fugging kickstand nowadays?" haha

Btw, looking good Dave. I literally just pulled a zucchini, 4 cucumbers, and my first ripe tomato. I'm gonna blanch and package all the broccoli tomorrow. I also have cabbage ready. I'm gonna start some more Zucchini this weekend as well.