Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Garden Thread

Huckleberry Finn

Plastic is hands down the way to go. I've laid miles of it. Provided that you bury it correctly so that it's not flapping in the wind, it works well. Cloth is even better. Just tuck your drip lines under either one and you're good to go. And, of course in a perfect world, that's all inside a high-tunnel greenhouse.

I miss gardening something fierce.

I think it's Ron that doesn't like horse manure, but the best compost I've ever used was horse and goat manure, with a few goats mixed in, and cast off potting soil from a greenhouse. That stuff grew wonders... At the farm I used to work on, we used to get the village's leaf piles when they collected each fall and they'd sit for a few years just breaking down. We'd work it up with the disk and that was also great to grow in. Best of all, it was pure profit. Farmer got the leaves free from the village and then turned them into a good product. I think we used to sell if for like $10 a yard.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
Plastic is hands down the way to go. I've laid miles of it. Provided that you bury it correctly so that it's not flapping in the wind, it works well. Cloth is even better. Just tuck your drip lines under either one and you're good to go. And, of course in a perfect world, that's all inside a high-tunnel greenhouse.

My wife didn't like pulling weeds the first year we had our garden and rabbits were doing a lot of damage. The second year, I decided to try landscape fabric and a small fence and both worked so well that we've done it every year since. We till up the area, roll the fabric out and pin it down. You just cut an "x" in the fabric and put plants in then cover it back up. You'll get a few weeds here and there in between the fabric sections or on the edges but that's about it.

Like I said earlier our garden has been a 12x12. It's a small enough area that one $4 roll covers it and it only takes about 10 minutes to put down and saves hours of pulling weeds. You'd probably have to come up with something else on a bigger garden but works great for us. I think the fabric also lets water come through from the rain but helps hold moisture in the ground too.

DXT

We had our first gated last year. This year we are going to expanded it some. Can't wait for those fresh tomatoes and zucchini. Mmmmmmmmm!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
tried the fabric. Didn't like it. Made a terrible mess out of things. Probably did it wrong. Still find some of it while tilling now and then.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I would recommend that if you know someone with a tractor tiller, have them come in and work your ground up the first year. That first tilling is a bitch on new ground, at least it was for us.

My grandpa has this one: http://fortwayne.craigslist.org/grd/4337497291.html

It's expensive and tough to find under 7/800 bucks, but after using a front tine that is propelled by the tines and not a drive system, these are the cats ass. But, once you have your ground worked up good the first year, a front tine will manage.

I use my grandpa's troy bilt at our garden and my MIL has a front tine that I use out there. Front tine = grip it tight and hang one for dear life. Rear-tine= hold with one hand while it drives and tills itself with other hand on a cold beer.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I've rented one and would consider splitting a TB with my dad. I used one to work up a food plot one year and would do it again for sure if I owned one.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Not much to report outside but inside it's looking nice ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393515780.868199.jpg. Lettuce and broccoli started. Need to get some kale started too.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Got a nice start going here...ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394148811.082308.jpgcant believe how much they have grown over just a week. this new seedling mat kicks butt