Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Garden Thread

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
No pics of mine, but I did get it in last thursday. I only did 3 zucchini, 8 Maters, 8 bell peppers, 4 banana peppers, a few broccoli, cabbage, and some sweet corn for now, and will do a couple rows for later. I did some pickle bushes seperately where we dug out a pine stump last year. Those things are taking off quick

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Irrigation is done. Ground looks good but I am already seeing tiny weeds. I mulched the whole area tonight. Planters are mulched thick. Walking areas around the planters are mulched thin. I had some left over/cruddy mulch at the bottom/back of the bin I needed to get rid of to order a new semi load so it worked out well. No pics as it was dark when I finished.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I hit it hard this weekend and am now ready to plant. When I showed up Sunday morning, it was a wild jungle and you could barely tell there was a garden there. I had to weedeat, rake, mow, rake, till, pick rocks/sticks/grass, then build fence. After a solid 8 hours over 2 days, I'm ready!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Just need to water, weed, and do a little tending here and there. Then it is harvest time.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
My cucumbers (3 types) are ahead of everything else. At my house I am doing cucumbers, tomatoes , 5 types of peppers, yellow, green zucchini and squash, eggplant and musk melon.

At Mom and Dad's we are doing the above plus corn, beans, pumpkins, cabbage and a bunch of other stuff I can't even remember.

All is doing well except a couple tomato plants already having damage from something.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good stuff Charles. Wasn't sure if you were going to get the gardens in or not. Thought you said you might skip them this year.

Ours is coming along. Have a couple baby tomatoes growing already. Even the plants which we weren't sure about are making it. 4 different types of tomatoes, 2 different pepper varieties, lettuce, cucumber, zucchini, squash, basil, onion, water mellon, and probably some other stuff I am forgetting.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
While the rest of you have been kicking ass, I've been lagging behind. May was nothing but a monsoon around here, so it delayed planting. Once I got the plants in, I got busy with work and coaching baseball. Been tough to finish up, but I made it a point to finish today. I have a full list of plants I'll get up later on, but here's a look at what I have going on right now.

This is my planter box at the house. My Better Boy tomato is a monster! We've already harvested some lettuce and banana peppers, and have some radishes ready to go.

Pepper and mater row, with some onions and bell peppers beside the maters.

Green bean set up and some radishes inside the stakes.

Pickles, golden and regular zucchini, spaghetti squash, and yellow squash.

Two types of corn: Double Sweet and Kandy Korn.

We added some sunflowers, zinnias, and other blooming flowers to help with bugs. Also adding some marigolds to help as well. I tried a different arrangement this year with some different growing techniques to see how I like some change. Added fencing this year also. I'm following up with chicken wire and electric in the next week or so. Protecting the investment a little better this year!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Geez. No wonder you were lagging behind. It was definitely wet early and that garden is massive. Good luck Jesse. Bet you are tired about now. That was a lot of work.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Takes about 14 hours to get this thing up and running. I enjoy it though. I've really taken to the gathering of food as an addition to the hunting for food. Canning and sharing became a passion in one year.

Jamie

Ohio
we got the garden in early this year for the first time in many years. planted everything May 21-22. Fortex beans, mostly Roma tomatoes for canning, some heirlooms, some early girls and better boys, too. cukes, zukes, pumpkins, sunflowers, three kinds of peppers and basil aplenty, and marigolds around the perimeter. none of our lettuce or spinach came up, which is a real pisser, but everything else is doing well. except for a certain bad little brown dog of mine dug up two of my cucumber mounds and scattered the seeds a couple of feet from the trellis, but they grew anyway, so no biggie. gonna have to water for the first time tomorrow.

IMG_0485.JPGIMG_0486.JPGIMG_0487.JPG

Jamie

Ohio
and I got off my ass early in the spring and built a raised bed for our herb garden up by the house. herbs are very happy in their new raised bed. I built it in such a way that I will install a cold frame on it for the winter. I get as much use out of our fresh herbs as I do the whole garden, cooking with some sort of fresh herb nearly everyday. we made a makeshift cold frame last winter that worked ok, and it was nice to go out in the snow and cut some fresh Thyme and oregano. doing some experimenting with various kinds of Basil this year. Lemmon Basil, Cinnamon Basil, Spicy Thai Basil, plus the usual Standard Purple and Italian Basil that we always grow. Lemmon Basil is very, very tasty. we dry as much of our home grown herbs as we can.

IMG_0489.jpg

Jamie

Ohio
straw does a good job of holding in moisture, a so-so job of keeping weeds down. you need to put a nice thick layer of straw down to do you much good in a garden. much thicker than like you would sprinkle over newly sewn grass seed or something. and you can rake up and recycle most of it for a year or two, till in whatever is left behind after raking. Nancy does that kind of stuff while I'm deer hunting. :smiley_bril:

Jamie

Ohio
I'm glad to see some of you younger guys so excited about gardening and canning and stuff. much virtue in all of it.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
HAHA. Sounds like a great setup! I like the herbs as well. Nothing like fresh basil in a pasta sauce or oregano in a chicken dish. The cold frame would work well on my bed. May consider that myself.