Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Garden Thread

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Okay it's getting about that time to get after it once we get this snow gone for good. Should have good soil moisture to start this year. Here is what I will have germinating first

Lettuce
Broccoli
Peas
Carrot
Maybe parsnips

I usually start indoors so that begone pronto. I'm actually late this year ...

Then it's on TOO

Tomatoes
Peppers
Cucumbers
Scallions
Shallots
Green beans

Things to do to garden:

New compost
Possible second tier to growing beds
Update irrigation system
Install last mulch path

Busy spring as usual

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Mike

Buckmaster

Portage
Would like to create a few raised beds this year. Could you go over a material review for us please? Treated vs. non treated, stakes/rebar, etc.

Gordo

Athens County
Ill b getting a garden bumping for the first time at our new spot. Havent thought too much about it, but this is getting the wheels turning.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Yea Milo this snow stuff is getting old . Can't wait for it to warm up.

I will start with my
Onions
Carrots
Celery
Potatoes
Peas
Beets
And lettuce

Then when the ground is right I will plant my
Tomatoes
Peppers
Muskmelon
Cabbage
Sweet corn
And I may start a pumpkin in side. I want to try and grow a giant pumpkin. I usually just buy plants. I have a hard time
getting them too harden off . They never seem too come out of the shock for me so I spend a little more and just buy plants.

I put a thick coating of manure on last fall and plowed my three gardens up. So when it dries up the first chance I will get it levelled up and get started. I'm ready for spring.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Looking forward to it again this year, the list looks to include:

Potatoes
Onions
Radishes
Green Beans
Tomatoes
Peppers
Sweet Corn
Cucumbers
Melon (possibly)

We had a blast with it last year and are still eating on what we canned, can't wait to try it again!

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
Any garden hints will be greatly appreciated! I'm going to rent a tiller and see what I can come up with this year. I'm also going to play with the straw bales again, even though it totally flopped last year!

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Would like to create a few raised beds this year. Could you go over a material review for us please? Treated vs. non treated, stakes/rebar, etc.

Sure it's easy. I actually went full cedar all around. I started with cedars 4x4 and cut them to 18 inches as corner posts. My plan is to put layers of boards on them because of cost. I use cedar 2x6s 8 feet long and use full length on the side and the ends are one cut in half for a 4x8 bed. I will never trust the givernment to tell me what is cancerous and non cancerous so no treated for me. I put a mulch path around all the beds to keep weeds down. I put an irrigation head on each bed for easy and efficient drip watering

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Any garden hints will be greatly appreciated! I'm going to rent a tiller and see what I can come up with this year. I'm also going to play with the straw bales again, even though it totally flopped last year!

Diana they make a sock you can put on the patio and plant in it. I will look it up. If your breaking ground you will want a plow to turn over the sod or you will spend an awe full it of time weeding.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Cabin will have a 40x40 sweet corn patch with green beans planted around the east and south edges. The second spot is 40x80 and have a second growth started two or so weeks later. Probably all Peaches and Cream.

The 40x40 left over on the second will have:

Peppers including green, giant Marconi's, red, banana, Anaheim, jalapeño, and habanero.

Zucchini squash

Cucumbers (some pickling and some burpless)

Tomatoes including heirlooms, better boys, and Roma

Eggplant

Cabbage

Pumpkins

Potatoes

Here at home on my raised beds(2-4x10 beds and a 6x18 ground level) will be stuff we eat through out the summer including:

Watermelon
Tomatoes (bigger, better boys)
Jalapeños
Anaheim peppers
Green peppers
Red peppers
Cabbage
Strawberries
Sunflowers (giant Russian)
Zucchini
Eggplant
Cucumbers

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Where does one acquire such cedar supplies given we are in Ohio? A better deal than say, Home Depot. Seconds would ideal.

I got mine at lowes and when I get all said in done I will have like 100 in each bed ( enough let to do both levels) which isn't too bad considering the duration of time they will last.

Buckmaster

Portage
Being I'm close to Middlefield which is Amish country I'll keep my eye open for left over construction/farm supplies.

I'd like to try to build a couple beds this Spring.

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
Diana they make a sock you can put on the patio and plant in it. I will look it up. If your breaking ground you will want a plow to turn over the sod or you will spend an awe full it of time weeding.

At first I thought this "sock" was a typo, but I looked it up and there it was! I might check into getting a couple of those.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Cabin will have a 40x40 sweet corn patch with green beans planted around the east and south edges. The second spot is 40x80 and have a second growth started two or so weeks later. Probably all Peaches and Cream.

The 40x40 left over on the second will have:

Peppers including green, giant Marconi's, red, banana, Anaheim, jalapeño, and habanero.

Zucchini squash

Cucumbers (some pickling and some burpless)

Tomatoes including heirlooms, better boys, and Roma

Eggplant

Cabbage

Pumpkins

Potatoes

Here at home on my raised beds(2-4x10 beds and a 6x18 ground level) will be stuff we eat through out the summer including:

Watermelon
Tomatoes (bigger, better boys)
Jalapeños
Anaheim peppers
Green peppers
Red peppers
Cabbage
Strawberries
Sunflowers (giant Russian)
Zucchini
Eggplant
Cucumbers
Beener your going to be a busy son of a gun. I have three large gardens myself one at my place and two at my parents, which I take care of . They enjoy them but are pushing 70. So I'm in them as much as they are. I can remember my grandfather and me being out there in those two all day long rototilling and weeding . I enjoy it with a few suds here and there while the sprinkler is running lol.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Beener your going to be a busy son of a gun. I have three large gardens myself one at my place and two at my parents, which I take care of . They enjoy them but are pushing 70. So I'm in them as much as they are. I can remember my grandfather and me being out there in those two all day long rototilling and weeding . I enjoy it with a few suds here and there while the sprinkler is running lol.

Exact same situation. I let the weeds go more at the cabin. That is why all the corn is there...not effected by weeds as much. My daughters go there at least once every two weeks and help G-ma pull weeds. We have three rototillers of different sizes so that helps.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
We do a little 12'x12' garden with tomatoes, green peppers, cabbage, broccoli and a few other things mixed in. I'm going to borrow a tractor from down the street with a rototiller type attachment on the back and extend it to maybe 12x24 this year.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Exact same situation. I let the weeds go more at the cabin. That is why all the corn is there...not effected by weeds as much. My daughters go there at least once every two weeks and help G-ma pull weeds. We have three rototillers of different sizes so that helps.
The neighbor gave me some RR sweet corn at the end of the year last year , I'm going to try it this spring . Hopefully it will cut back the weeds.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I am going to add more compost. Till it in, prep the raised beds, and plant whatever my wife brings me. Afterwords, I will be using mulch in between as well to reduce the weed issues. You people are far more knowledgeable and courageous in your efforts than I am. I don't like weeding. My only goal is to reduce weeds and produce more plants for my wife to can.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
[Q UOTE=hickslawns;316471]I am going to add more compost. Till it in, prep the raised beds, and plant whatever my wife brings me. Afterwords, I will be using mulch in between as well to reduce the weed issues. You people are far more knowledgeable and courageous in your efforts than I am. I don't like weeding. My only goal is to reduce weeds and produce more plants for my wife to can.[/QUOTE]
Phil this year I'm going to cover my beds in black plastic or cloth and just cut out where I want to put a plant. I'm tired of weeding too