Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Garden Thread

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Thanks fellas. The small garden here at the house is doing well also. One roma, one cherry, one Cherokee purple and one better boy tomato. Some onions, two jalapeños, two bells, two Carmen and 2 cherry hot peppers. There's also a volunteer sunflower that was growing in my driveway when I went to spray for weeds a couple weeks ago. I transplanted it from the gravel to the box and it's doing well so far.

20170610_145820.jpg

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Learned a tough ass lesson about 2,4-D and herbicide drift around tomatoes. Lost all my tomatoes after spraying the edges of the garden. It only impacted the tomatoes, but it got them all. I'll need to pull them all and start over. Pretty bummed.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
i havent watered my garden the past 2 nights because we were suppose to have a bunch of rain well we havent got any rain here so im gonna have to give her a good douching tonight.

Hate to hear that Jesse. I finally got several plants in around our old flower beds next to the deck. Have a few cherry tomato plants that don't look too good, not sure what's going on with them as tomatoes either side of them are doing fine. Bunch of pepper plants: habanero, anaheim, hungarian yellow and jalapeno's. Fingers crossed I'll get to do some salsa or at least some great chili. Looking forward to the tomatoes and cherry tomatoes as I eat them daily now.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
https://ag.tennessee.edu/herbicides...95-B_of_target_herbicide_diagnosis_tomato.pdf

This nails my issues to a T. I use a mixture of gly and 2,4-D to do my weed killing. I did this on a hot, not very windy day, but it must have still settled on the plants. Figures 19 & 20 are what all my plants looked like. After checking them again early this AM, then finding this report, I went straight to the greenhouse and got another flat of maters, along with some more mature plants, then pulled and replanted everything. One decent thing about this is I won't have fruit until after I get back from the beach, so that's somewhat good from a timing standpoint. Bad thing is I am on my last jar of salsa...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sprayed Roundup in the drive, mulch beds, around the barn, etc last night. Started to notice a little breeze. Turned tip of sprayer to put out more of a stream than a spray. Larger droplets should eliminate some of the drift. Stayed about 15-20ft away from garden. As we finished it was really humid and wind continued to pick up. Rained pretty good overnight. Praying the humidity didn't allow the spray to hang in the air and drift to garden. If I did any damage the wife will strangle me. Time will tell.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Had my first harvest on Sunday thanks to a heavy crop of wax peppers. I'm stuffing them with venison and cream cheese, then wrapping in bacon and grilling tomorrow. Pretty pumped for that!