Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Going through the ice, in Lake Erie

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I refuse too ice fish because of the falling thru issue.... If you ever hear of my demise falling thru the ice while fishing call the DA and prosecute someone for my murder hahahaha

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I just fished this same area today and also last night. I saw right where the quad went through. I hate to hear things like that. I wish people be a little more careful out there. The area they went through, near mouse island, is notorious for strong current and shitty ice. You don't wander from the beaten path when fishing off of Miller dock... At least not unless you're spudding every step of the way. They're damn lucky it wasn't worse. You go through the ice around there, good chance you're getting swept away. Just an example of how the current eats the ice... I was fishing over 14" of ice tonight... A tenth of a mile from me towards mouse island, the ice was only 6".

Last edited:

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Lucky guy. Over 50 yrs. ago my older brother always ice fished up there. He invited me so I decided to go with him. One week before I was to go he was out and the ice broke off and they all had to be recused by chopper. I never did go.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I'll get my eyes in the river, thus spring. Although that can be dangerous too, I feel more in control.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Moral of the story ...the area around mouse and the pass always has questionable ice . . I went up the other day and fished west of catawba without a problem. Road my quad out about 3 miles . Sure was nice getting out . Caught 5 , missed a couple lost a couple, and broke one off . Ice was 8" plus everywI drilled.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
LOL and I'll be glad to just read the reports with you. I'm staying off the ice. I've used up most of my 9 lives and can't chance any more.

No way, no how! We've pulled more than a few people (and bodies) of the partly frozen river at work. Being in the ice in a gumby suit is cold enough. You guys can ice fish and tell me how it goes. Lol

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
Did they get the trucks outta there yet????
Ya they got them outta there. Yesterday the ice broke off with the few days of warm temps and west wind. Coast guard had to fly out and rescue some people over 2 miles out. There atv's were left behind. There is 12" of ice on the lake here.