Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Offseason Plans

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
I am a little slow in the head sometimes...but I think I'm finally picking up what everyone has been laying down!

I am going to get the cameras back out soon after I purchase a 55gal plastic drum, cut it in half and make one or two of them antler traps! Start taking inventory.

I want to move my one stand to the north side of the property where only 2 trees overlook a substantial grassy open area.

Then hang another one along the field edge to the west, its on an inside corner of the crop field and the woods and an open lane/easement is just north about 20yds.

I think I should purchase "No Trespassing" signs and have a talk with the neighbor who keeps sending snowmobiles over to the property I'm hunting. Definitely need to talk to the landowner about this. It has been a consistent problem all year and I'm pretty sure the main reason why I didn't see a single deer on stand since I started hunting it on youth shotgun weekend.

I will prbly get some mineral blocks or trophy rocks and set the cams up over them in late spring/early summer.

Hoping this will change things out there for me and I will see good results in the fall.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
My #1 goal is find some good property tohunt . Still trying to break into somewhere that I ain't sharing with a bunch of people

DXT

My hunting plans are to find a lease for the upcoming season. Far as personal life plans for spring and summer is to go to the lake and stay in the camper with the fiancee and my dog. Watch some wood burn in the fire pit and drink some BEERS.

I plan to paint my hunting cabin, and build another permanant box stand. Hope to purchase another cabin/small home that has running water near my hunting cabin. My wife retires in two weeks and we want a place with all the conveniences of home near my hunting property. We plan to spend a lot of time in Carroll county.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
1 thing I forgot TOO mention was building a kickass natural groundblind in a spot that is a tanglefuck of a jungle. There are so many young trees and blowdowns that putting up a stand without chainsawing half the woods down is nearly impossible. Im thinking of kinda using 1 of the blowdowns and digging out underneath it a bit. The more I talk about it the more daunting it sounds. My buddy actually has been begging me to do this with him so I hope we only have 1 shovel:smiley_bril:

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
I think digging out underneath an existing blowdown is the best idea. When hunting on the ground, I think the lower you are the better. You blend in much better down low. Only problem I find is that if your arrow makes a complete pass through you have a very hard time finding your arrow.

I missed right over a doe's back last year, hunting from the ground, 25yd shot to the deer (put the wrong pin on her), missed high, found my arrow about 60yds. past where the doe was standing...prbly wouldn't have found it if I didn't use red lumenock's.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I'd like to get a couple mineral spots established here around the house. Right now, I'm trying to get the line on some new hunting property. I found a very sizable chunk of land just down the road that could be very promising, but need to go speak with the landowner first. Some inside information has revealed the guy will most likely give me permission. Only downfall is I don't know how much time I will have to dedicate to learning an new chunk of land this year. The plan is to get permission the beginning of March and walk it looking for sheds and signs. If the new property doesn't pan out, I'm going to focus on killing another buck right here around the house. I need to buckle down and get permission on as much around me as possible.

Schu72

Streetsboro
I need to get down to the new farm I picked up to do some scouting and shed hunting. Definately going to put up at least one more stand.

Gordo

Athens County
I'd like to get a couple mineral spots established here around the house. Right now, I'm trying to get the line on some new hunting property. I found a very sizable chunk of land just down the road that could be very promising, but need to go speak with the landowner first. Some inside information has revealed the guy will most likely give me permission. Only downfall is I don't know how much time I will have to dedicate to learning an new chunk of land this year. The plan is to get permission the beginning of March and walk it looking for sheds and signs. If the new property doesn't pan out, I'm going to focus on killing another buck right here around the house. I need to buckle down and get permission on as much around me as possible.

Good plan greg guy . Even small parcells can be gold mines

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
We are making a couple blinds this winter. Need them for a couple good spots in the crp. The snow has taken its toll on our pop up blinds this year. We were able to build the blinds for just under 300 each. Gotta freshen up the licks soon. And move some stands before summer. 1620358_801179706563230_1336092645_n.jpg We left the film on the windows for now.

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Need to acquire some new ground as well. This is a never ending task. You never know when a property is going to disappear. Next on my list (although equally important) is to shoot the bow shoot the bow shoot the bow shoot the bow shoot the bow.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Need to acquire some new ground as well. This is a never ending task. You never know when a property is going to disappear. .
This is something I have been very fortunate to do every year since I moved to my current home. Last fall while helping a buddy track across property lines we actually kind of acquired a new piece we've always wanted but had always written off as not huntable. The landowner just told us some of the older fellas that used to hunt it basically gave it up and some new young guys had permission but rarely hunted it as far as he knew. He told us to show up in early spring with permission slips and he would give us basically sole permission along with 1 of the oldtimers that only gun hunted and small game hunted the area. 1 thing he hates is the groups that run through the area with vehicles waiting at the roads to block deer

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I think digging out underneath an existing blowdown is the best idea. When hunting on the ground, I think the lower you are the better. You blend in much better down low. Only problem I find is that if your arrow makes a complete pass through you have a very hard time finding your arrow.

Just wondering when you dig underground do you put in a drain? If no drain pipe the hole around here would be full of water.

Look used for the hog. I found one last year on the cheap through craigs list.

That's the way we hope to go, find a used one. Sure would beat having to load one on a trailer to haul it down like we did last year, also having to borrow it. We looked at a few at some of the used equipment places around Athens but were either too big or junk. Need about a 4 footer to work well but could do a 5 footer as that's what we borrowed.