Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Scents?

NEOhunter

What kind of scents are you using at this time of the year through turkey season?

I want to get back in the woods and move some stands, put my trailcam back out, and maybe do some shed hunting. I don't know what types of scents to use to rid my human scent. Thanks TOO everyone for their input as I'm still learning alot about being a hunter.

Treed

Stark County
This time of year, I'm not hunting so I don't bother with trying to mask or eliminate scent or be stealthy. Quite the opposite. I actually would rather be jumping deer right now and storing the information about where they're bedding for next fall. If you want to mask/eliminate scent, use hardwood smoke. I have about a thousand dollars worth of Scent Lock and Scent Blocker crap that I've accumulated over the years and none of that high tech, carbon fiber, sliver lining shit has ever gotten me as close as some simple smoke has this season. I killed a doe from about 20 yards last month, she was downwind, completely clueless of my presence and I was on the ground. I got a buck a last weekend in pretty much the same scenario but he was 30 yards away and had walked through my wind. Clueless. You can get a Scent Smoker here on TOO. I believe they're around $30.00. If you plan on get into deer hunting, I can pretty much promise you this will be the best 30 dollars you'll ever spend in that endeavor. My wife and I keep bees and I read about all these guys here on TOO using this Scent Smoker so this season I decided I'd give it a try with our bee smoker. Now I'll never go out in the deer woods without smoking my gear again and the best thing, other than base layers, I'll never have to buy that outrageously priced crap from Scent Lok/Blocker again. Sounds like a commercial, huh? Lol...It's not. I don't even know the guys who are marketing the Scent Smoker. I just know it works. Unless you happen to have a spare bee smoker laying around, I highly recommend it. Ask around.

Last edited:

NEOhunter

Thanks for the info. I am going to have to look into that. My parents use to keep bees when I was younger and I remember they had a smoker. I'm gonna have to do some digging and see if they still have the smoker.
I've read some posts about people on here using the smoker but I'm still not sure how it works. TREED Can you explain it to me please?
Point taken actually trying to jump deer and take notes for this upcoming season.

Treed

Stark County
For deer in Ohio, smoke is a natural smell. They smell it all year around with people camping and heating their homes with wood fires so when they smell it on us in the woods it doesn't alarm them. Smoke is very clingy and will stick to your clothes and body masking odor from things we interact with like soap, detergent, peanut butter sandwiches, or that Little Tree smelly thing in your truck. Hardwood smoke in particular has enzymes in it that neutralize human odor so it's well suited to deer hunting. Here's a thread all about using a smoker to hunt. Check it out.
http://www.theohiooutdoors.com/showthread.php?12934-Smokers-Welcome-Official-Scent-Smoker-Thread

Last edited:

Treed

Stark County
I have a big ass pile of split maple sitting out back. I usually grab some dried bark chunks off some of the logs, break 'em up and hit 'em with a propane torch for a minute. The wood pile is split so I can also grab the big ole splinters off the logs and break them off too. Whatever works. I've also gone around and gathered up a bunch of dried twigs and used them when I forgot to bring some wood. Works just fine. I buy woodchips to smoke fish and meat. lol
I've never used smoke turkey hunting. Get a good box call, they're easy to learn to use. A diaphragm call, while harder to master is better yet because it leaves your hands free to shoulder your weapon or draw your bow.

Last edited: