Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Wildlife council to vote on PCRs

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I have mixed emotions about this. Ohio has many mature bucks because shotguns are not an accurate gun at moving targets. I'm afraid that with this law passing there will become less and less mature bucks in Ohio. Will all rifles be next? I personally prefer more mature bucks to hunt over more accuracy.

With this said, I will start researching PCRs and purchase one. As I am not a gun guru any suggestions would be welcomed.

I have to respectly disagree that shotguns are inaccurate. With some of the rifled barrels and slugs with sabots there are several shotguns that shoot damn good groups at 100-200 yds. Then the sabot ML rifles are shooting great at longer 200-300 yds. I just don't see the PCR rounds doing this at longer range.
PCR firearm will just be easier to shoot accurately.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
If you hand load you could make up some dummies with no powder or primer. Paint them orange and call them Duds.....

Good idea but I'm not sure that will fly with the State. They always take the attitude if they don't understand a new idea it's always "NO".
But I will try and get a ruling after they approve the PCR's.

Update:
The other Press Release states dummy rounds are permitted. At least a common sense ruling.

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I'm not really understanding all the concerns.... If I want to shoot a deer with a pistol cartridge rifle I'll replace the harvest from the shotgun so I'll give up he shotgun and use the rifle.... A lot of people blank regardless of the weapon used so I really don't think an increase of that many is going too happen... I feel you'll get a spike in license sales this coming season because of it but not a spike in harvest.... If the average person who harvested two deer the previous seasons will probably harvest the same amount....

Milo

Tatonka guide.
It will increase ladies and kids I believe as a 45 colt is easier recoil and cheaper ammo than 410 slugs

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
I have to respectly disagree that shotguns are inaccurate. With some of the rifled barrels and slugs with sabots there are several shotguns that shoot damn good groups at 100-200 yds. Then the sabot ML rifles are shooting great at longer 200-300 yds. I just don't see the PCR rounds doing this at longer range.
PCR firearm will just be easier to shoot accurately.

I am not saying shotguns and MZ loaders are not accurate. But a rifle is much more effective at running game. Very few guys are skilled enough to kill running deer consistently with shotguns and mz loaders. If rifles are ever allowed you will see a huge jump in mature bucks being killed the first few years. Then a big drop off in mature buck sightings.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I'm not really understanding all the concerns.... If I want to shoot a deer with a pistol cartridge rifle I'll replace the harvest from the shotgun so I'll give up he shotgun and use the rifle.... A lot of people blank regardless of the weapon used so I really don't think an increase of that many is going too happen... I feel you'll get a spike in license sales this coming season because of it but not a spike in harvest.... If the average person who harvested two deer the previous seasons will probably harvest the same amount....

Agreed. I really don't see it mattering that much in the scale of things. My crappy mossberg with a rifled barrel and scope could likely out perform most PCRs. I say most as a 45-70 Hornady leveRevolution round is a round to be reckoned with. 300 yard shot with a 100 yd zero shooting 12ga SSTs and it drops 61 inches compared to the 45-70 drop of 55.

Lundy

I have mixed emotions about this. Ohio has many mature bucks because shotguns are not an accurate gun at moving targets. I'm afraid that with this law passing there will become less and less mature bucks in Ohio. Will all rifles be next? I personally prefer more mature bucks to hunt over more accuracy.

With this said, I will start researching PCRs and purchase one. As I am not a gun guru any suggestions would be welcomed.

A average PCR is no more accurate at a stationary or moving target that a average rifled barrel shotgun. The use of a PCR will not transform an average hunter into a sharpshooter

Buckmaster

Portage
Update:
The other Press Release states dummy rounds are permitted. At least a common sense ruling.

Frank...actually my father was a promoter of this PCR ideals from new beginnings. He's ready with his .44 Henry, 3 shooter style. :smiley_coolpeace:

Buckmaster

Portage
Oh, I hear my Encore in the safe yerning for a .500 S & W barrel.

Sounds mmmm....good....she's purring like a properly scratched kitten.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Why would using a rifle that shoots straight walled rounds create a new group of hunters? Long bow, Compound bow, CrossBow, Pistol, Shotgun, Muzzel loader!!! Anybody that had a interest in deer hunting had enough options to get them in the woods before this!!!!

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
I will look at the 45-70 or 444? Hope this ain't a dream? Lol

Looks like my 1895 Marlin 45-70 will get more use than just shooting it on the fourth of July every year lol!!! Only if i don't get one with my crossbow first!!! A snap cap would work as the dummy round also.

Last edited:

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I see an order with JD Jones or Bullberry for a stainless 24" .375 Winchester barrel for my Encore in my future. No dummy cartridges needed.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
I don't think there is a huge advantage on accuracy but being able to shoot something that won't break your wallet is what I like. It's got to be cheaper than 12-15 dollars for 5 rounds.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
A average PCR is no more accurate at a stationary or moving target that a average rifled barrel shotgun. The use of a PCR will not transform an average hunter into a sharpshooter

Like I stated, I am not a gun guru. I do know there would be many more large bucks on my wall had I used any of the rifles I've had for hunting WV. But, I will begin to research these weapons in case I still have a buck tag come gun season.

I don't get all the worries some people have behind this. Its not like a bunch of people are going to go by a 500-800 dollar PCR to replace there muzzle loader or slug gun. Most people that will take advantage of this new addition to Ohio's are going to be of the hand loader and pistol hunting crowd which is a pretty small percentage of hunters. I don't see any truth in the "sharpshooter" theory either. you are correct that mst PCRs make better off hand guns than a slug gun. I'd be perfectly happy if someone made a the switch from a slug gun to a PCR if they shoot it better. That would mean fewer wounded deer.

If this passes I'd be interested in a Ruger no. 1 in 45/70. Adding plugs to marlin lever actions is really easy. I'm not sure how you would do it with a Winchester.

Last edited:

CritterGitterToo

Central Ohio
This will pass. It's a money grab. More gun sales and more ammo sales means more money to ODNR from the Pittman Robertson Act.

It's just another way for them to recover lost funds from the overall reduction in tag sales.