Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Wildlife council to vote on PCRs

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
The ODNR Division of Wildlife made the 2014 deer season regulation presentation to the Ohio Wildlife Council on Feb. 5. Buckeye Firearms Association (BFA) is extremely pleased to announce that the proposals include allowing pistol caliber rifles (PCR) for Ohio deer gun seasons in the 2014 regulations. PCR has been an important initiative for BFA leadership and volunteers.

The Association volunteers have worked on this proposal for quite some time. We have attended numerous outreach meetings with the Division of Wildlife, sportsmen groups and farm organizations. The Division of Wildlife ran a survey at the 2013 annual open houses regarding the sportsmen attitude towards PCR. The response to the survey was overwhelmingly in support of allowing PCR.

The Ohio deer herd is healthy and the ODNR Division of Wildlife sees no adverse effects to the deer management program by allowing the use of PCR. Cooperation between Division of Wildlife managers, sportsmen and landowners is critical for the success of wildlife management and especially managing the Ohio deer population. With this in mind BFA specifically sought the support of the Ohio Farm Bureau Federation (OFBF). We realized that an educational process and partnership with the OFBF is very important. A policy resolution was submitted to the OFBF at the local county level. With the adoption of the local policy it was presented to the OFBF state delegates. They adopted a state policy at their 2013 convention to encourage the Division of Wildlife to allow PCR.

The PCR proposal will allow:

Straight-walled cartridges which are currently legal in handguns. Ohio deer hunters have used handguns with these cartridges for decades without incident. These are the only cartridges which will become legal in rifles.
The ODNR Division of Wildlife maintains a more complete list.
The 3-shot plugging rule is required for the pistol caliber rifles (PCR) the same as for shotguns.
The PCR will only be allowed during any deer season which currently allows the use of shotguns and handguns. Basically these seasons are the early youth deer gun season and the traditional deer gun week which opens on the Monday after Thanksgiving.
This type of firearm is lighter than shotguns and muzzleloaders, making it ideal for youth, the physically impaired, or any hunter who wishes to carry less weight.
The pistol cartridges are actually less powerful than the newer shotguns with rifled barrels, inline muzzleloaders, and sabot bullet technology. There is less recoil than with 12-gauge shotguns again making them ideal for smaller hunters.
Because it is a rifle with a shoulder stock, it is easier to shoot more accurately than handguns.
All states adjacent to Ohio allow PCR hunting for deer. Indiana moved to allow PCR for deer several years ago with no reported problems.
Buckeye Firearms Association applauds the Ohio Division of Wildlife for making the proposal so Ohio deer hunters will have another tool available as they enjoy deer hunting starting in 2014. We thank the OFBF for their support of PCR. We hope the Ohio Wildlife Council will adopt the proposed policy.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
It'll pass. They need the participation numbers, more deer killed, and license and tag fees.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
Either way it's nice too open up the arsenal to a new weapon.... Now what should I look at????

44 mag is on my list if this passes. Thinking maybe a single shot with a scope. This will sell a lot of guns and get more people out in the woods but I'm not sure it will result in more deer killed. We have a ton of hunters now buying tags for gun season and never filling them. If it passes, I'll buy a new gun. If not oh well.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Excuse my ignorance, but what's the advantage of using a PCR firearm instead of a dedicated (rifled) slug gun?

CritterGitterToo

Central Ohio
It'll pass. They need the participation numbers, more deer killed, and license and tag fees.

What he said. Plus they may be able to generate some funds through the GW's busting idiots thinking it's a free for all on rifles in the woods during Ohio gun season. Cha-ching for the Ohio Farm Bureau...eerrrr.....I mean the ODNR.

Buckmaster

Portage
Oh darn, now I'm going to have to order that .500 S & W barrel for my Encore. Wonder how many steps a deer may take after feeling that. :smiley_bond:

Lundy

Excuse my ignorance, but what's the advantage of using a PCR firearm instead of a dedicated (rifled) slug gun?

No advantage ballistically at all, shotgun shooting sabot slugs and MZ's still have better ballistics. Out to 100 yds all of them will kill a deer plenty well. Choosing to shoot a PCR does not extend range potential it actually reduces it for many depending on what they shoot today.

However my daughter-in law will benefit from this new opportunity. The ammunition cost is much less so she can practice shooting more and the recoil is substantially reduced. It will still give her a very adequate deer killer out to 100-125 yds depending on the caliber. Last year she hunted with heavy barrel H&R 20 gauge and it still rocked her world more than she would like. She is a little tiny girl.

Youth hunters can opt away from that silly .410 and have a real gun capable of a clean deer harvest at reasonable yardages.

A lot of hunters already own the PCR's, there is really no reason they should be able to hunt deer with them.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Hey Lundy it looks like you will have some new "target users" to chap you up!!

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
A rifle is just easier to shoot. There is a slight advantage with a longer barrel with pistol rounds. A reloaders rule of thumb is about 25 FPS of gain for every additional inch of barrel. My 44 Mag. 7 1/2" gets about 1300 FPS and my 18" Ruger rifle gets about 1725 FPS. Both still just a short range firearm.
I'm glad to see the new ruling. I've used my Ruger 44 Mag. rifle in the past for crop permits and it works great. Just a new toy to use. But if I continue with good luck with a bow hopefully there will be no reason to use it. But I will figure out a plugging system. I do have a H&R 45-70 single shot rifle to use, and a Marlin 45-70 lever action rifle. I'll have to figure out a plug for the Marlin.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Not all inclusive but these are the more common. .357 mag and max, .44 mag, .45 colt, 454 Casull, .460 S&W, .500 S&W, .375 win, .444 Marlin, 45-70.

As I read the new regs. it just calls for .357 and larger straight wall rounds.
The old regs. had the rounds actually listed. So it appears the 40 S&W, 10MM, and 45ACP would be a allowable round.
In no way would I consider the 40 S&W, 10MM, or 45ACP a sporting round to use on deer. I don't even consider the 357 Mag a true sporting round. But that's just my feelings.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
I have mixed emotions about this. Ohio has many mature bucks because shotguns are not an accurate gun at moving targets. I'm afraid that with this law passing there will become less and less mature bucks in Ohio. Will all rifles be next? I personally prefer more mature bucks to hunt over more accuracy.

With this said, I will start researching PCRs and purchase one. As I am not a gun guru any suggestions would be welcomed.