Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What Was Your First Hunting Bow/Crossbow?

Griz

NH
First bow for me was a Deer Slayer made by Indian Archery. I bought it in 69 or 70, not sure. That would of made me 14 or 15 yrs old. I still have it, and shoot it sometimes. My instintive shooting is not what it use to be, but its still fun.

Last edited:
My first was this Horton SuperMag I picked up used in about 2002. I bought it for $100 and picked up the Bushnell scope for $5 at a flea market. The one limb cracked in 2008 and I put the newer limbs on it. I used this bow until last year when I purchased a used Yukon XL. The SuperMag took down quite a few Ohio whitetails including the two racks in the photo.

Attachments

• rsz_bow3.jpg
    rsz_bow3.jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 106

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Those are two very nice bucks Dick. Did you make the quiver?

Since we're going back memory lane some, who here remembers those gosh awful climbing Baker treestands? Talk about cumbersome,noisy and dangerous!!! That's an understatement.....but we still used it cuz being mobile and remaining above the deers eyes and nose was very effective and becoming popular.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
First bow was an early 90s Jennings Buckmaster. I never used one of those stands ric, but there is the top half of one grown into a tree on one of the properties I hunt.

Ohiobowhunter1

Columbus
Since we're going back memory lane some said:
I think I was 18 or so and I borrowed my Dads Baker, I thought after using it what a death trap it was. Very hard to climb in, I think I was up about 10ft max... that wooden platform was skechy too.

Griz

NH
I had some time to kill waiting for the snow to get deep enough to start plowing so I went down to the basement a took a pic of my baker tree stand that I bought when I was stationed at Ft Campbell Ky, 1977. I was thin then, and had no problem hugging the tree and climbing. I saw many deer out of that thing. baker.jpg

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I had a TSS climber and you hugged the trunk and climbed that way...... Never used one of these new fancy ones yet lol.... Went from that too ladder stands.....

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I started out with a PSE Foxfire cross bow of my grandpa's. Never killed anything with it. Moved up to a Barnett Quad crossbow. Got my first compound (PSE Nova) in 2001 or 2002. Used it until 2005 when I bought my Mathews Switchback XT and have used it ever since.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
I had some time to kill waiting for the snow to get deep enough to start plowing so I went down to the basement a took a pic of my baker tree stand that I bought when I was stationed at Ft Campbell Ky, 1977. I was thin then, and had no problem hugging the tree and climbing. I saw many deer out of that thing. View attachment 19570
Now that brings back some memories. Those Baker boards were freaking dangerous. I had some close calls with them sliding down unexpectedly. Free falling a couple inches, scares the shit out of yeah! Lol

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I had some time to kill waiting for the snow to get deep enough to start plowing so I went down to the basement a took a pic of my baker tree stand that I bought when I was stationed at Ft Campbell Ky, 1977. I was thin then, and had no problem hugging the tree and climbing. I saw many deer out of that thing. View attachment 19570

A neighbor still uses one of the Baker stands as a hang-on type stand! He makes real good money too, so I have no idea why he uses it. I watched him get in it one morning in the dark..... I heard him making noise about 120 yds away!

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
I started with a Martin Tiger in 1988. I scared the heck out of a few then got a XI Impact in about 92 or 93 and killed my first deer with a bow that yr. A plump button buck. Then followed up 2 weeks later with a 8 pt . This was back when ya could only kill 2 a yr . So opening day of gun while my friends were off for the day with excused absences I had to attend school.

Heck yeah I remember those Baker treestands too, just my mom and dad wouldn't let me get one. Ended up trying to make one out of a bunch of aluminum angle that my dad had stashed away one year. LMAO it was too friggin heavy to pull up while hugging the tree so I never used it other than to shoot off of in the back yard a few times by using a step ladder to get on it!! Thanks for the reminders!!

I see a lot of the Bear Whitetail hunters, etc. and they remind me of my cousins and uncle back when I started hunting. Back then my dad had the Bear Polar LTD, a very similar bow....I used to think that was the mack-daddy of all bows back then LOL!! When I started shooting it was Easton XX75's, I think 2013's, with regular fletchings. Used a finger tab for the first year or two before switching over to a regular finger glove.

Buckmaster

Portage
I started off with a Barnett crossbow with one of those hand lever cocking devices. My dad had to cock it for me because I wasn't strong enough. I only had one shot without Dad around.

My first compound was a High County Sniper.

beaston

I started out shooting instinctive with an old fiberglass bow with one of those stick on plastic rests. Bought a crossbow somewhere around late 1980's, it was a Proline with a maple stock and a 4x scope. Traded that in on a Oneida Screaming Eagle the following year and went back to instinctive shooting with a 3 finger tab. Over the years I have owned several bows and never was brand specific and probably never will be. These would include a High Country Machined Supreme,Browning Midas,Diamond Iceman and my current bow is a Bowtech Insanity CPX. I still own the Iceman and keep it as a backup. I also own a Barnett Predator Crossbow that is heavy enough to be a boat anchor but haven't used it in 5 years.