Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What Was Your First Hunting Bow/Crossbow?

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I was 17 and it was a 120# Roberts Crossbow. 109.00 I believe in 1978. Never killed a deer with it, but many other critters didn't care much for it!:smiley_clap:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
First bow was a fiberglass stick bow, then upgraded too a bear recurve.... That was mid to late 70's then in 83 my fiancé bought me a PSE compound for Christmas and it was a 20% let off after that it was a Hoyt Gamegetter and then a Hoyt Heat.... Then Horton supreme and since then Ten Points.....

Stick bow and recurve was small game tool lots of rabbits with a few pheasants and squirrels but didn't get my first deer until the Game Getter came into the picture lol.....

Oh and I married that lovely young lady who bought me my first compound.....

Last edited:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Did any of y'all do the old stick and kite string with stick arrows???

Can't say Ron,I or our friends did but we shot a few recurves and long bows back in the days. Stump hunting with judos was always fun.
Ron killed a dandy 5x3(150 gross) back in 1981 with his BWT while using no sights I remember. We both shot instinctive with fingers at first while sighting down the arrow then went to cobra sight pins. Man those pin heads were big! Lmao My how times have changed! Bigger was better back then and now smaller than tiny is it! Lol

Also most of us shot 2018 or 2117 xx75 orange shafts with 4"-5" vanes or feathers. The 125 grain wasps were what we shot the most but I still have tree bark camo arrows tipped with Zwickeys laying around somewhere....hahaha

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Did any of y'all do the old stick and kite string with stick arrows???

Come to think of it J I believe we did shoot that kind of set up in our Rod and Gun Club at highschool in the mid to late 70's. Ron might remember if he checks this thread out. The R&G club is when we were first introduced to the bow and arrow(fresh/soph years) and that hooked us for life! I remember there not being enough bows for everyone and having to take turns shooting and that was tough to do......rotflmao

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Now don't be laughing but here I am shooting my first bow, a Bear Whitetail way back in the early 80's in this here pic.

Ron,my twin bro and I both got a BWT bow for Christmas in the late 70's when we were around juniors in high school. We flung many arrows through those things back in the day. Digging up his pic sure brought back some great memories.

That is the bow my dad used. Still have his down in the basement.

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
Bear Whitetail II with Easton XX75 aluminum arrows. I got that for my 21st birthday in 1993. Those arrows were like shooting baseball bats. You could see them fluttering all the way to the target. I taught myself to shoot and it was not pretty. Lost some arrows and came within 2 inches of sticking my canoe which was sitting about 10 feet to the left of my target.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Although I started stump-shooting a old Ben pearson long bow at age of about 10 it was the Christmas in 1973 I received a 45# Fred Bear re-curve and a dozen cedar fletched arrows. I was 15 years old however it would be another 10 years before I finally took a deer with it.

I still have both those bows. :smiley_bril:

PSE13

Shelby
My first hunting bow was a Hoyt Raptor that my uncle gave me! Never killed anything with it but i loved to shoot it!

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
Not nearly the nostalgia as many other bows mentioned but my first bow was a PSE Deerhunter, came with gamegetter aluminum arrows....learned a lot about shooting that bow...sold it before I could ever kill a deer with it...oh well, love my Bow Madness...for now...lol!

Gordo

Athens County
First arrow slinger i hinted with was one of the first horton hunter xbows.
Must have been purchased in the late 80's. Still got it.

My first compound was around the same time. It was an all black bow that said 'rambo jr' on it. Bad ass. lol. That may have been a hoyt, not sure.

Ohiobowhunter1

Columbus
First bow for me was a Browning Bushwacker II, My Dad gave it to me when I was 14 years old. I remember he bought it at Kmart in the sporting goods section. I shot 2117 Easton Gamegettter arrows with a 125 gr. Razorback 3. I shot this bow all the way up until 2001 with fingers and painted iron sights.

I thought I would say that when I was 14 it was 1985...