Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What Was Your First Hunting Bow/Crossbow?

Thought it might be fun go go down memory lane and post up your first arrow slinger for hunting. What was your first bow or crossbow you used for hunting??

Mine was a Proline Cyclone II bow that I got for Christmas in 1981.....used it for the first time in 1982 to hunt that year when I was 12. Man that was a while ago! LOL!!

NEOhunter

My first bow was a Horton Brotherhood Crossbow. I got it December 2012 and got my first buck ever and first bow kill this hunting season. Hoping it lasts a while cause I like it.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Used Bear Whitetail II for me as well. In Jim Crumley Trebark nonetheless! Got it for Christmas in 1999 and killed my first deer with it the next fall. Sold it to my neighbor years ago to finance the next bow I bought. Wish I had never sold it, but he swears I get it back for what I sold it to him for if he ever wants to unload it.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
My 1st bow was a Shakespear in 1972. Still got even though the fiberglass has cracked from age.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
It was an Indian Stalker or Hunter, I don't recall which. Still have it somewhere. 50lb draw. It was one that was sold through the big box stores of the time, like Montgomery Ward, Sears... I think it cost around 60 bucks brand new. Put a 9 dollar sight on it, fashioned a kisser button our of nock sets. Ugly, but it killed two...

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Now don't be laughing but here I am shooting my first bow, a Bear Whitetail way back in the early 80's in this here pic.

Ron,my twin bro and I both got a BWT bow for Christmas in the late 70's when we were around juniors in high school. We flung many arrows through those things back in the day. Digging up his pic sure brought back some great memories.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
Barnett quad 400 two months ago. Wasn't sure if I was going to get into it or not and it was on sale at cabelas for $279. I got into it alright, lol. Thinking about upgrading before next season but I would like to kill one with this bow and then maybe save it for the kids.

Strother23

Columbus, OH
I bought a 2010 Strother Infinity in 2011. My first kill was early fall of 2013. Not as old as some of the other bows talked about on here lol as I'm still newer to bows. But I don't see myself not bow hunting for a long time.

Longdraw

Central,Ohio
My 1st hunting bow when I was 12 it was a Browning Summit II,,old round wheels and was like a mile long axle to axle and maybe shot 200fps.,shooting 2114 autmn orange eastons with a razorback 5

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
My first was a Bear Grizzly recurve that i got second hand in 1979. Worked for years then blew up shooting carp one spring. My first compound was (and i still have it) a Proline typhoon xt. The first bow that used cams instead of wheels. Still have the sales slip. Bow with six XX75 and a box of razor back fives (remember thoughs lol) for 165$ new!!!!