Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Sheds

PSE13

Shelby
I have never looked for sheds before but I would love too start! I was just wondering were are some of the best places too look for them? Should I look in brushy areas or along trails? Not sure where to look thats why im asking. Thanks!

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Bedding areas (I would wait 2-3 weeks), trails from bedding to food. They browse on twigs and briars a lot so check briar patches, I found a nice one beginning of January right in front of a briar bush. Hit the real thick stuff. I'm sure ric and Ron will chime in as they are the shed masters.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Masters we are not but "ate up with it"....we are!:smiley_baby:

Chads right though, and I haven't done any serious hunting yet and neither has Ron. Of course some have fallen but the majority in about a month or so. Food sources,bedding,trails in between them and hillsides with a lot of sun. You have a good 3-4 weeks before things really start happening but I'll prolly start pretty soon as I need the exercise but just fields on my early tromps.

Good luck

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Masters we are not but "ate up with it"....we are!:smiley_baby:

Chads right though, and I haven't done any serious hunting yet and neither has Ron. Of course some have fallen but the majority in about a month or so. Food sources,bedding,trails in between them and hillsides with a lot of sun. You have a good 3-4 weeks before things really start happening but I'll prolly start pretty soon as I need the exercise but just fields on my early tromps.
Good luck
X2^^^^^^^

Diablo54

Outside
I have never looked for sheds before but I would love too start! I was just wondering were are some of the best places too look for them? Should I look in brushy areas or along trails? Not sure where to look thats why im asking. Thanks!

Start in the feeding areas. Winter wheat corn etc. if you find a few in the feeding area there are bound to be more in the bedding. Grid the bedding. Ypu cover less ground in a bedding area but IMO there are more sheds laying in thick honey suckle on a south facing slope than there are anywhere. When checking corn fields make sure the sun is not out. You will have a hell of a time. Wait for a overcast day and walk perpendicular to the rows. Walk a line and then 50 yards down do the same thing. Binocs are a must IMO.

runhunter

In addition to what's already been said, don't forget to look for creek crossings, fallen logs, fences etc...any place where they have to jump, head downhill, etc.. that little jolt could be enough to shake some bone loose.