Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Non-Resident license fees to increase

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I'm not aiming this at you but at the logic. This is a huge myth that a lot of people don't understand when talking about Resident vs NR hunters and money spent in the state. The hunting industry in Ohio is a billion dollar industry. NR hunters are a very insignificant portion of that. While it is true that they spend a little money inside the state it's miniscule compared to what a resident spends in an average year. Most everything a NR brings to the state they bring on a trailer and was purchased elsewhere. Whereas a resident purchased almost everything inside the state. If a NR drives 1000 miles to hunt Wayne National Forrest or a resident drives 100 miles to hunt Wayne National Forrest, odds are the resident still spent more money in the state of Ohio. Their needs while hunting will be the same. The difference is 90% of the things the NR bought we're purchased out of state. Even truck he drove and the trailer he used to haul it all here. The bow in his hands, the grill he's cooking on, the camo on his back, right down to the paper he wipes his butt with, odds are it was all purchased out of state and didn't add a penny to the state economy. The reverse could be said for the resident. Almost everything he purchased he purchased in Ohio and supported his local economy. Residents travel around the state to hunt also. Most go to deer camps or other locations off and on throughout the season. The cost for the resident to make the hunting trip puts far more money in the local economy than a NR who drove a thousand miles. The reason is the money spent inside the state line is all that that matters, the residents trip started and ended in the state

Very well said indeed.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
For all you NR's out there. Please believe me when I say it's nothing personal. I just think that Ohio needs to raise your license fees. I just feel that your getting a lot better deal than other NR going to other states such as Iowa, Illinois or Kansas. I do see why you come here and heck! I would TOO for less bang for bigger bucks! Lol.

jlane

dunn nc
i,m a nr i will gladly pay double, even triple if the state would hire reliable w/officers to stop poaching, been out there 4 times this year, hunted 4 private property tracts, hear shots after dark, not during gun season, talked to several land owners who has tried to call officers and they not call back or show up, i don,t understand those of you who are upset at nr for obtaining (leases or permission) to hunt land, i just stop and take to landowners and get permission to hunt several tracts, i got a lease on a piece and after walking it found two ladder stands, now the problem is they do not have permission to hunt it, i will be the nr(@#@hole) that came and leased THEIR hunting property that they could have leased before me, so yes i would support an increase for nonresident hunting IF the money goes to helping maintain the quality of a healthy deer heard, and stop poaching

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
For all you NR's out there. Please believe me when I say it's nothing personal. I just think that Ohio needs to raise your license fees. I just feel that your getting a lot better deal than other NR going to other states such as Iowa, Illinois or Kansas. I do see why you come here and heck! I would TOO for less bang for bigger bucks! Lol.

Agreed. Nobody here that I know looks down on nonresidents and nobody should take it personal. It's a hard conversation to have but a reality of the times were in, states charge NR hunters more how much more is right is the question. I don't think any NR would disagree when I say Ohio has offered a heck of a deal. The almost tripling of NR licenses in the last 10 years further exemplifies that.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Unless mandated by law the employees salaries and benefits will get be the 1st benefit of raised NR fees. Then what's left over will go towards improving Ohio's hunting.
Tell me I'm wrong.

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
I was a non res. in 2004 when I first hunted Ohio, Loved it so much I moved to Ohio in 2006, My job dried up in Ohio so I had to move back to Michigan this fall, That means i'll have to buy a NR hunting lic. this year, I wouldn't have a problem if they raise the NR lic. But if they jump out of the tree like Ill. I would not be happy, Raising it 100% is to much in my book. But I could live with 50% On a lic. And I wouldn't want to pay more then $40 for a tag. As you can see from my above post Mi. charges $138 for NR, Raised from $100, And trust me when I tell you, you don't want to hunt Michigan if you think ohio is bad.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
its too bad the state lacks the foresight to just slowly and methodically raise fees every few years just a little bit at a time

Good stuff fella's! I do agree that they could get away with raising the NR license fee a good percentage and it would not affect all of the die hards (and maybe a few that have invested interests in land down there LOL :smiley_clap: ). For the most part I also agree that the idea of NR flooding the local economy with $$ might be a little over blown at times. Most often we purchase our groceries, etc. when we get down there so I'd like to think we do contribute something though several times throughout the year. Of course we don't spend $$ at your hotels since we stay at my dad's house so sorry bout dat.... :smiley_baby:

The one time when I do finally get the opportunity to move our family down it will be a relief off of my back...then I won't be referred to as a NR any more on this forum LOL lmao . Well, what I meant to say was it will be a relief to actually be where I want to live. Maybe then I will understand why there is so much hatred for NR's that come in and hunt state land that I won't hunt either.....I kid....I kid.... :pickle:

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
Maybe my buddy and I spend more than most NR's do but we drop a decent amount of money in the state for our two week trip. Lodging for 13 nights is around $1300. We eat out or order in most nights and that's another $400 - $500. We always seem to forget/need something so we probably each drop $100 - $150 on gear. Last year we hunted about 30 miles from our cabin so we used quite a bit of gas. That's another $350 - $400. Tack on another $150 each for our licenses and we are spending $2500-$2800 inside the borders. Granted it's not as much as residents spend as noted by Jackalope but it is a decent amount.

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
We figure the trip costs us each around $100 per day. May sound like a lot but when compared to using an outfitter it's a steal. Most outfitters I've seen charge around $3000 per guy and that's for 5 days of hunting. We get twice the hunting days for half the price.

jlane

dunn nc
one more thing not mentioned, is resident hunters has the ability to hunt everyday or every few days which add up to a lot of hunting time, where the average nr hunters only get a week or so to hunt, maybe a few more days if we can get a few days off and don.t live too far, we also eat a lot of tags, (speaking for myself because i don,t want to drive 8 hrs to kill a doe OR a buck less than 140" so i do feel benificial to the surrounding land that l hunt ) and yes i will spend at least a hundred per day or more not to mention land leases,

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Leases.....pfft don't get me started on that.

The point is no matter what you spend in the state while you are here we have under valued our herd. I think averaging the license/tag cost Iowa, Illinois, and Kansas would be a good number.