Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Non-Resident license fees to increase

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
Jesse, I wasn't trying to compare leaves to actual meat. I was just trying to point out that residents everywhere get annoyed with non residents invading their area no matter what the reason. The fact that something is annoying to you or me is not a good reason to increase the fees. Now if the money is going to be used for wildlife improvements, as you suggested in an earlier post, I'm all for it and am willing to pay my share.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
The leaves all come back every year regardless of how many people show up to take photos of them.

edited to add: I don't really care if non-residents come here to hunt. I do think the fee should be higher though.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I dont understand why you care. Say a NR license goes from $125 to $150, or the cost of a tag doubles, do you think it's going to stop guys who are spending a few G's on a lease?

You have not given a valid reason to support why you are for an increase except for the whiny, wo is me attitude, who doesn't like how his neighbor manages his property. Give me something to work with, maybe I'll see a point I haven't thought about.

Remember, the NR's contribute a large % of the funding each year, whether it's mismanaged or not. Don't judge people because of where they're from. There's dirtbags in every state, who trespass, cheat, lie, steal etc..

You don't understand why I care? I am from Ohio, that's why I care. I'd like to see the license double in price, who gives a shit about $25. I already gave a valid point, a $125 NR license is outrageous. Us Ohioans are the ones taking care of the land all year and all a NR has to pay is $100 more than me, that's what I don't like.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Being a land owner in Ohio and considered as a Non-Resident I hope many can understand that I am not for going crazy with raising NR license fees simply because some have a hard time finding land to hunt on that isn't leased or, in the case of public land, riddled with NR hunters. I do agree with the need to make license costs comparable to what my state of Michigan costs but that's about it.

I know it may ruffle a few feathers but Ohio should do away with land owners not having to buy a tag. :smiley_blackeye: Last I checked they consider most animals controlled by the state and if you cannot keep the deer on your own property then they surely aren't yours to not have to buy a tag for. Now if they want to change the law back to the way it was several years ago, the deeded owner (regardless of residency) could go without purchasing a license, I'd be all for that!! :smiley_carnaval:

Ouch. I'm a landowner and I don't by a tag to hunt on my own land nor should I have to.
I do buy tags every year so I can hunt the neighbors.
I don't consider the deer on my land mine. And no one offers to help to repair my deer damage fences 20 times per year.
If the States wants to charge me a tag fee to hunt the deer on my property, I would say to the State to keep their damn deer off my property. Just saying.
As to non residents owning property in the state well that's just free choice.
Sorry.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
IMO, like others have said, the NR fees/tags should increase to at least what their state charges or comparable states charge. If Ohio deer numbers are good and big bucks are plentiful then they should expect to pay more but if our hunting sucks like it does now then I feel they shouldn't have to pay as much, but I believe they helped us get to where we are today so their rates need to increase now.
I totally agree with Jesse in not minding at all in paying a little more myself along with the increase to help acquire more public land and restock our wildlife.
Brock,Milo and Joe also raise some great points about how our own ODOW has put us in this predicament to begin with and needs to be made sure that the additional revenue goes to wildlife conservation and not some other government sinkhole or officials pocket.
The outfitters also need to be regulated but that's another discussion...

Milo

Tatonka guide.
just went through kentucky and for me to hunt there with 1 deer tag it was 180 bucks and they have no where near the quality of deer we do...

Milo

Tatonka guide.
2005 -2010 ohio was 4th in B&C entries with 215

Kentuck was 6th with 199...

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
But Sam, how much is funneled out of the DNR budget too pay for other things other then DNR expenses...... And what do you think will happen when the individuals in Columbus see a jump in revenue for the DNR? It'll be funneled away and it'll be a wash...........

Monies can't be taken from the Division for other agencies. A few years ago the governor ( I think it was Strickland) ordered every state agency to cut their budgets x% from the year before. The Division had to comply even though none of that money could go help the budget deficit. The Division ended up with a big chunk of $$$ sitting in their bank account at the end of the year. The next couple years they had lots of money. They still have lots of money because Pittman-Robertson was huge last year.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Monies can't be taken from the Division for other agencies. A few years ago the governor ( I think it was Strickland) ordered every state agency to cut their budgets x% from the year before. The Division had to comply even though none of that money could go help the budget deficit. The Division ended up with a big chunk of $$$ sitting in their bank account at the end of the year. The next couple years they had lots of money. They still have lots of money because Pittman-Robertson was huge last year.

That's where my mind was going on that Sam.... That's why I was thinking they had funneled monies out of the DNR..... Thanks for clearing that up.....

Ya I'm pretty much done with this thread:D

Oh but I do live here.
I'm done on this thread also.

Aw c'mon I was just getting started. After all I have deer damaged fences too LOL!! I understand where you are coming from though as I would hate to see my dad have to buy a license on his property as well, and I am not trying to be a dick about this. It's one of those things that is a good reminder that if some scream for changes on one thing, others may scream for changes that may in fact affect them as well. It's only money and after all....shouldn't we be able to trust our DNR's (other states included) with all of our money, even when they open their hands for more??

Would you trust a crack whore with your wallet on payday????? rotflmao

Exactly my point as well. If I knew the extra $$ was really going to be used for a purpose to help the Ohio wildlife in some way then it wouldn't hurt so bad. Otherwise if the reason as so many have said as just a discouragement to keep NR out then I could never support that....I am one LOL!! I do wholeheartedly agree that license costs should be very similar from one state to another though, not based on which state has more B&C deer than another.

runhunter

You don't understand why I care? I am from Ohio, that's why I care. I'd like to see the license double in price, who gives a shit about $25. I already gave a valid point, a $125 NR license is outrageous. Us Ohioans are the ones taking care of the land all year and all a NR has to pay is $100 more than me, that's what I don't like.

Wow. I've heard it all now. What do you do to "take care of the land all year" that entitles you to a discount, or should I say what don't I do, in the state woods of Ohio that should make me pay a shit ton more than you? I hope you never have an itch to hunt out of state or go to a farm that someone else has taken care of all year round. Get a clue man. You don't own it, you live there. That's all

runhunter

I come there, and while I "only" pay an extra $100, I support local businesses, hotels, restaurants, I've donated deer to families that are in need, and Hunt the right way. 99% of the people I've met don't care and welcome us NR's with open arms. Guys I met on the side of the road in Lawrence told me where to hunt and what they've been seeing. I hunt private ground and expected to get a cold shoulder from the guys who have grown up there, and didn't. I'm only 3 years in to OH hunting, and met my share of guys, but none that don't appreciate other hunters. Sad...