Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Shoot does not shed bucks

themedic

OHIO
Ohio’s archery deer season runs till February 2nd and many hunters may be feeling the need to punch un-filed tags. BUT before scratching that itchy trigger finger: CONFIRM YOUR TARGET!

Many hunters each year make the mistake of shooting shed bucks or button bucks when their intended target was a mature doe. I have heard several reports of people finding sheds already in 2014 and with such a hard winter, It does not suprise me..

Things you can do to help make the tragic and avoidable mistake are:

Confirm your target with binoculars- Take a good, hard look before shooting any deer. Look for the lack of scabbed pedicels, dark tarsal glands or genitals.

Watch deer behavior- Like most guys, a male deer will usually give some attempt at mating; so watch for aggressive male posturing, scent checking, nudging and attempts ant attempt of chasing.

Be skeptical of shooting a single deer by itself- Button bucks many times will stray away from the herd or be alone. Key in on shooting the largest deer found in a group of 2 or 3 deer.

Lastly, many hunters in Ohio are reporting low deer numbers. Be sure your hunting area can withstand additional doe harvest. If your deer sightings have been low this season, consider letting that extra tag stay un-filled or hunt elsewhere.

Most of all enjoy the final week of the 2013-2014 season. I’m still trying and as Jim Cogar proved last season, it can happen!!!!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Damn Ryan! Sorry to hear that! I'd at least try my darnedest to find his sheds and I bet they're not far from where he hit him either! Hope you find em...

Good luck this weekend as well!

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Damn Ryan! Sorry to hear that! I'd at least try my darnedest to find his sheds and I bet they're not far from where he hit him either! Hope you find em...

Good luck this weekend as well!

Funny thing is the section he was coming from, I can hunt about half of it. They tend to bed in the part I cant, but feed where I can, so there is hope. I've stared at his face but I just can place which one he is. haha