Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

what kind of broad heads are you guys using?

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
Just curious what kind of broad heads you guys are using on your crossbows. I need to get some more after tonight's hunt loosing arrows in the snow :smiley_blackeye:. I had fixed blade broad heads since I was planning on shooting through a shoot through screen when I bought them, I think the brand was "muzzy" and they were 100 grain. I just want something that shoots good and puts deer down if I do my part. The local shop has so many it's a little overwhelming for a newbie.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
If not shooting through a screen, I like the Rage 2 blade and Spitfire broadheads in 100 gr. The Spitfire's are less hassle than the Rage because of resetting the blades when you bump them.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Slick Trick Magnum 100's shoot great through a borrowed 10 point xbow my daughter is using. Tight groups out to 40 yards TOO.

I use either
100 Gr Rage 3 blade heads

Or 100 Gr 4 Blade Muzzy heads

Both work well
But if you use a blind with Shoot through fabric
IMO it is best to switch to a fixed blade head

As I did

John

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
100 gn Slick Trick Magnums on my crossbow
125 gn Slick Tricks on my longbow

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Joel- Sometimes stuff happens. There are a lot of Muzzy shooters chiming in. I am thinking this was one of those times where "stuff happens". Not sure you can blame the broadhead, BUT I wasn't there. I don't know where you made contact. Not trying to bust your chops. Just not sure it is the broad head here.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
Thanks for all the suggestions guys (and Diane).

Joel- Sometimes stuff happens. There are a lot of Muzzy shooters chiming in. I am thinking this was one of those times where "stuff happens". Not sure you can blame the broadhead, BUT I wasn't there. I don't know where you made contact. Not trying to bust your chops. Just not sure it is the broad head here.

I'm not blaming it on the broad head. If I hit where I was supposed to I'm pretty sure these would've done the trick. They were flying slightly different at the foam block than my field points were but still within 2" of the bullseye at 20,30 and 40 yards. The doe I shot at was maybe 30 yards. The guess on yardage was probably my biggest mistake. I should've had some markers out and pre-measured or had a range finder but live and learn. I used the first crosshair and aimed slightly high on her. The first crosshair was dead on at 20 yards. I think it was a combination of wind, me possibly jerking the trigger or doing something like that, arrow might not have been firm against the string, she may have instinctively ducked as I shot... who knows. Any of those or all of the above would've done it. This is my first crossbow and I've only had it since right after gun season. Also when I shot her I wasn't in the blind, just sitting in a chair.

I wanted some opinions just because I value your guys' opinions and had no reason for buying the last set except they were in my price range and I wanted fixed blades for the shoot through screen. I wouldn't have a problem buying them again for the blind next year. I didn't think you were busting my chops.

I ended up getting what I thought were rage 2 mechanical broad heads just because they were all that was in stock at the Meijer I stopped at and they were on clearance. When they took off the security thing I saw they were actually called "Rampage2" lol. We'll give em a try. I'll take all these other suggestions into consideration when I go shopping next time before next season and make sure I'm equipped with a range finder and plenty of practice.

While I'm still learning here I may as well share a couple other goofs from this season that explain where my other two arrows went. I was going to keep this to myself but maybe someone can learn from it. My first one was shot at a 6 point buck from the blind earlier in the season. I lined up the crosshairs and squeezed the trigger and felt pretty confident when I did. The arrow was lower than the scope and sliced right through one of the fiberglass poles for the blind about an inch below the screen. The buck took off and the arrow was sticking straight out of the ground about 10 feet from where he was standing. The other two arrows were lost last night. I shot at the first doe that came through and missed her completely somehow. She looked right at me with her tail up and just stared at me for a second then ran away. The other one that I shot at that left the hair behind is where the third one went. I will be shooting at least a couple dozen arrows at the foam block before I go hunting again. :smiley_blackeye:

Not really proud of any of that but I learned enough to not make any of those mistakes again.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
We learn from our mistakes. Lord knows I have made plenty. Guarantee you the TV "celebrity hunters" make plenty as well but have the luxury of editing to exclude them from their shows. Hold your head up. Late season hunting has it's own set of challenges as it is. All the practice in the world at a block target cannot prepare you for in the field reality. You are gaining this practice every time you have an experience. Those who shrug it off and don't care are the ones who give hunters a bad name. Good luck Joel.