Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

what kind of broad heads are you guys using?

Treed

Stark County
I hunted with a crossbow last year and have let one of my friends use it this year. I used 100 grain Grim Reaper Razertip 3 blades last year and they worked great, they also don't have a rubber band or plastic collar to hold the blades in place which is nice, and they come with a practice head. My buddy shot 100 grain Rages, sorry don't remember which ones but they were two inch two blade, and took two deer. Whatever you decide to use, make sure and check them for functionality every time you go out. Make sure they'll open and close and that you didn't catch one of your blades on a branch or something and open it up walking in! That happened to me last season and cost me a shot. If I hunt with my crossbow again or when my kids start to, it'll be Reapers for sure though. They fly great out of the Horton Vision 175.

Last edited:
Welcome TheAverageHunter22! Most of the crossbows out there nowadays are suitable for whitetails. It all depends on how much money you are willing to spend these days as to what you get. Barnette, Ten Point, Wicked Ridge, etc. are all great x-bows. Just make sure what ever you get that you spend some time getting to know your equipment and shoot a lot before going out after deer. Good luck to you.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
The crossbow will depend on what you want to spend? There are just so many out there and the prices vary quite a bit. PM sent to you.

TheAverageHunter22

I'm probably thinking about getting the Barnett 78610 recruit, it's 249.99 on Amazon with 150lb drawback. Also, what is the best place to hunt that is public land around central Ohio?

redeye33

Muzzy 4 blade 100 grain. Seem pretty accurate to me but every once in a while one "flies away" ? Wind? I wolud like to shoot mechanical blades but am worried about a glancing shot and hearing that they deflect. Any comments or help on that? Thanks

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
I use to use muzzys but my newer x bow shoots to fast for a fixed blade, Wont hold a group with any I have tried. I have had good luck with the rage 3 blade. good groups out to 45 yards. Only ever shot one buck that was not a broadside shot, He was quartering to me at 18 yards, He was ready to bolt as I was sitting on the ground with little cover so I took the shot. The head penetrated the front sholder and came out the ass. Deer didn't go 80 yards. I to worry about deflection and try to always take a broadside when possible,

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
So far I've tried muzzy 3 blade (the expensive one piece ones), muzzy 4 blade 100 grain (shot a doe this year with one), slick trick magnums 100 grain and Rage crossbow. I plan on using the slick tricks for the blind because of the shoot through screen and will try the rage crossbow heads in the tree stand. Those rage heads are insane looking. The slick tricks shoot fine out to 30 yards into the target block and have no need to try farther.

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville
Rage slipcam 2 blades....love it. Gets the deer to drop no more than 40 yards