Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hunting blind ideas

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
We are going to build a couple permanent hunting blinds this off season. What I need is some ideas for sliding windows. With the way were building our blinds, We would like a vertical sliding lexan window. Looking for ideas for a window track. I have seen blinds at show that had a vert window setup that used a aluminum z type bar to hold the windows in place but I cant find anything like it anywhere. Thanks for any ideas. Were done with pop ups, Lost 2 more this year from the snow caving them in.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Take a 2x4 and use a tablesaw to cut a groove in the bottom of one side, then do the same on another 2x4...screw the 2x4's to the top and bottom framework of your blind and insert your lexan into the grooves.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I had a supply of basement add-on storm windows. I just added 2 small hinges to the bottom and a small swivel piece of wood at the top for a lock.
When ready to use I just turn the wood top lock to the side and hinge the window down out of the way.
Works good for me.

The center window being so long hinges up. Wood hold lock is shown.

Last edited:

jlane

dunn nc
lowes, has some screen tracks, l got some and cut them to length, lexan fits perfictly in the groves side by side,(put two tracts side by side) so you can slide window past each other, you will need a track upper and lower get the lexan thats thinner works great, cut lexan about one inch longer than one half length of your opening that way it will over lap each other

Strother23

Columbus, OH
In the off season I'll be trying to find handicap porta johns and clean/ gut them to the shell and cut windows and paint the outside camo. Plenty of space and durable and lighter than would blinds. Good luck on building your blind

Lundy

If I ever build anymore beyond the 7 I have now I will probably use these windows. They make all types of windows
http://www.deerviewwindows.com/sliderwindowpic.php

Today I use 3/16 clear and smoked plexiglass with two cabinet hinges that hold the wind up when I open it. The window is on the inside with the hinges at the top. Works really well but is not weather tight. When it rains hard some water comes in.

This shows a little of how I build my windows

How they look from the outside

Last edited:

Lundy

Lundy I was wondering how well you can see through the smoked lexan, Just seems like it could be to dark at times.

Thanks for the replys.

My windows are not real dark tint, they are actually pretty light. Low light, early morning, late evening, cloudy rainy days your vision is less than with clear. I normally just open a window during those times if I need to. The ones I have in more open field areas there is no problem, in the woods I need to open a window to have full vision early and late.

What the tinted does for you is really reduce the chance of deer seeing your movement in the blind. Depending on how you are set up and how close you expect the deer to be to your blind it can help.