Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The LINE UP

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Question, it seem like every bow I've ever owned that even after being tuned through paper has never had the pins line up with the string when lining up my string with an arrow on my rest. My pins always seem to stick out a little when I eyeball my string with the arrow....Is that normal?

It's never prevented me from shooting 300's,killing deer or poking bullet holes through paper but was wondering if my bows need even more adjustment.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I could be mistaken, but I think that is actually a farce that it should all line up. Pretty sure it depends on the shooter, equipment, etc. At the end of the day, as long as you execute every shot the same, it really doesn't matter if they line up...

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Mine line up. Years ago, I shot a bow or two that did not. I shot them fairly well, but not as well as I should have. The pins being lined up show that you are looking straight through the string, an indicator that your form and draw length are dead nuts on the money. If your pins are off to one side or another, you are not looking straight down/over the shaft of the arrow - you are out of line, and you will never shoot to your potential ---IMO. Having said that, it nt mean you won't shoot well enough to kill deer. Peep sight position/anchor can be altered to line everything up provided your draw lenght is not too long or short. And before some decides to post links proving me wrong in some way...I did NOT read anything on the matter ,ever, all trial and error and what I've found to be the case personally.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ric, I forgot to add that your bow(s) are probably tuned just fine. Its the setup's relationship to you that dictates pin alignment. If you anchor relatively high on the side of your face for example, may cause your sights to line up left of the string/arrow. If you can't your head inward a bit, other factors too, such as having your peep set low to the nock point (which causes your release hand to be high on your face and off to the right of center @ full draw. This is one of those things that are much easier to explain or demonstrate in person... :)

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Hopefully Milo will chime in and tell me I'm an idiot, but I'm going to disagree with just about everything Brock just said. I've never owned a single bow that had pins line up with the string. They are usually very close, but never line up perfectly. For a right-handed shooter, a properly tuned bow with damn near ALWAYS have the pins left of the string. The cable guard creates riser torque at full draw and at the shot... I don't know the exact physics behind it, but that's why the pins are off-center. By and large, only the "shoot-through riser" types of bows will have pins that line up perfect with the string. And I think G5 makes a bow or two like this as well.

Bottom line, it's fine Ric. As long as your rest centershot is correct and your bow is in tune, and you've got good BH flight, you have nothing to worry about.

S Triplet

Hopefully Milo will chime in and tell me I'm an idiot, but I'm going to disagree with just about everything Brock just said. I've never owned a single bow that had pins line up with the string. They are usually very close, but never line up perfectly. For a right-handed shooter, a properly tuned bow with damn near ALWAYS have the pins left of the string. The cable guard creates riser torque at full draw and at the shot... I don't know the exact physics behind it, but that's why the pins are off-center. By and large, only the "shoot-through riser" types of bows will have pins that line up perfect with the string. And I think G5 makes a bow or two like this as well.

Bottom line, it's fine Ric. As long as your rest centershot is correct and your bow is in tune, and you've got good BH flight, you have nothing to worry about.

This is exactly right! I call it, riser inside torque due to the cable guard. The shorter the bow ATA the worse it can be.
Some bow manufactures have put on flex cable guards made to flex at full draw and some put a bend at the last 1 1/2" of there round cable guard to relieve some stress/torque ... All in all, nothing to worry about, has nothing to do with tune.
If it is excessive off or aligned perfect, and no cable guard made to counter, you may be hand torquing.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Thanks for the explanations guys! I've always wondered why that was and yes, I'm right handed and they stick out just a little to the left.

It's nice to see you checking in Stacey! You are one of the best archers/bowhunters I know and I hope to see you chime in more often especially on topics in this forum.

woodyw333

Cincinnati Oh
I have an Elite XLR 37" ATA and a Z28 32 1/4" ATA both are the same, sight is a smige to the left. Its not as noticable on the XLR because I have a scope with up pin on it but you can tell.. Ric your bow is fine (even though it is a Matthews lol)

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I have an Elite XLR 37" ATA and a Z28 32 1/4" ATA both are the same, sight is a smige to the left. Its not as noticable on the XLR because I have a scope with up pin on it but you can tell.. Ric your bow is fine (even though it is a Matthews lol)

Lol Chris! At least I don't have to push the string forward to let down....rotflmao

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Here are some more thoughts for Jim to counter.

Archery is all about being consistent. If a person consistently torques the handle, no problem. If a person consistently cants their head, no problem. The problems arise when people aren't consistent. It is much easier to be consistent when everything is "in line". A level, for example, is less beneficial to a shooter that is accustomed to being 'in line"...the shooter can feel when things are slightly out of line after a time. Many shooters use draw length that is a shade too long to be "in line".

Here is an example of a shooter with an 'in line" draw length. I'm willing to bet his sights line up with the string...

Attachments

• draw.jpg
    draw.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 164

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Here is an example of the most common draw issue that will cause a person to have pins left of center...

Attachments

• draw2.jpg
    draw2.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 161

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
And here is proof a person can learn to shoot a bow fairly well any dang way they wish... However, if you enjoy shooting near perfection, and nearly without effort, get your gear "in line".

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 165

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Another angle of a well aligned shooter.

Attachments

• _49771413_archerytech1.jpg
    _49771413_archerytech1.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 174

Kaiser878

ohio
That's why a perfect bullet hole when paper tuning isn't necessary. For.a.rt handed.shooter a slight knock high/left tear is optimal. Because.no one and I mean no one does everything perfect everyshot
To many variables.....especially when sitting in a tree. Besides I'm a group tuner not a paper tuner

Milo

Tatonka guide.
That's why a perfect bullet hole when paper tuning isn't necessary. For.a.rt handed.shooter a slight knock high/left tear is optimal. Because.no one and I mean no one does everything perfect everyshot
To many variables.....especially when sitting in a tree. Besides I'm a group tuner not a paper tuner

do your bareshafts hit with your fletched shafts at 25 yards and at the same angle?