Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Howdy from Toledo

naptime

Hey there, New member from Toledo here.

new bowyer as well.

I'm 42, and finally decided to stop dreaming about a bow, and just went for it. Actually, through a crazy set of circumstances, the root of which would be my brainless choices, I now have two bows. :smiley_blackeye:

I bought a 2004 Martin Jaguar off craigslist a few weeks ago, without knowing anything about draw length or cams or modules.

Found out I needed new cams. found out how hard they are to find, and how much they are. Found a guy willing to trade cams. then found out I needed new shorter strings. then found out I needed new limbs as the bow gained 20 pounds. now I'm waiting on limbs.

fast forward 2 weeks, and several hundred dollars, and I still haven't fired arrow 1

so, yesterday, i bought ANOTHER bow. a 2004 Bowtech Pro40 Wheely. This one I knew had the correct draw and weight. went to Clelands outside toledo today and got it setup for me. kisser, peep sight, etc.. they help me get the sight dialed in. and by the time I left, i hit all 5 bullseyes in a row on a 5 spot target. (well, close enough to bullseyes for me!) Took just about 20 arrows to get me all dialed in. And while I would consider my last five to be bullseyes, they still wavered a little, because my bow arm was getting tired.

but all in all, for my first day with a bow, I was quite happy.

anyway, I'm in Toledo, planning to shoot at targets in my backyard, as well as the range at clelands until we get nicer weather, summer time I head out to Pioneer every weekend so will no doubt hit the range at The archery Spot. I have dreams of deer hunting later in the year, and squirrel. and turkey.. but with only 20 arrows fired, that all just sounds like hollywood dreams for now!

looking forward to getting to know my fellow Ohio Bowhunters!

Jay

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Welcome too the site.... Lots of good knowledgable folks here..... Glad too hear you got a good working bow..... It's an addiction but in a good way lol....

naptime,
Welcome to The Ohio Outdoors!

Good grief, brother, you should've went to an archery pro shop and they could've helped you with some decisions and saved you some cash. I guess we've all traveled down that road, at one time or another. :smiley_blink:

There's a lot of good 3D archery shoots in your area. I follow the Toledo/Michigan shoot schedule quite a bit and always have been very pleased.

Bowhunter57

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Welcome to TOO world. I am sure you will find plenty of knowledgeable people here to help you out.