Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Dealing with late season

woodyw333

Cincinnati Oh
As some of you may have read in the live hunt and recap thread, I shot a doe yesterday morning. We all know that in late season there a good possibility all the does are pregnant.. Well mine was carrying twins.. I love hunting late season and have killed many deer late but this is the first time I have ever seen this. I think it is pretty neat for only being 8-10 weeks pregnant...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389782477.217415.jpg

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Wow, that's neat as hell. Congrats on the Doe. Hope you aren't holding what would have been a future Booner in your hands. Hows the house coming?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Not sure how to feel about this one honestly. Definitely an interesting experience and picture. Just drives home the point that harvesting does takes more than just one deer from the herd, even when they're not pregnant.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
When we kill does, we kill fawns or we kill the chance of her conceiving. Even when not pregnant, does posses the ability to grow the herd until killed.

I was thinking the same thing. I won't shoot a doe anywhere near the farm I hunt in Warren county. Don't hardly see a deer as it is to justify it.

On the other hand, those who have plenty of deer and need to manage the herd I'm not only happy for them but I'm envious TOO.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Bittersweet for sure. Pretty amazing to see. I would probably feel guilty though. I have killed a doe late season and fortunately it was a late night/flashlight field dressing and I didn't think to see if she was carrying. I am getting more selective on doe harvests. 3 last year got me re-thinking this spring after not seeing quite the rebound. I only tagged one this year. There is only one property I would take another doe off this season and that would only be if my son decides to head back out.

Treed

Stark County
We've got a lot of deer down where I hunt in Carroll County, I see does running around in groups just about every afternoon when I'm out driving that way. That said, I still pretty much stick with one doe and one buck a year, if that. I shot a doe last Saturday, there's meat in the freezer, I have no regrets. However, I didn't find a fetus in her either. I'm heading out tomorrow to see if I can't get the buck I'm after. I'm sure I'll see some does over the weekend and when I do, I'll watch them pass and hope my buck is somewhere behind them bringing up the rear. We'll see soon enough.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
My buddy and i were just talking about this the other day when he asked when i was going to get my daughter back out. The DNR would love that pic!!! Me not so much. Coyote or ground hog and im good with it but deer?

huntn2

Hudson, OH
First off, thanks for sharing woody. I personally have never experienced what you have shared. Pretty amazing.

Though most of is harvest a doe each year, Your pic and Jesse's post highlight the reality of the situation. Harvesting pre or post rut still takes a breeding doe out of the herd.

woodyw333

Cincinnati Oh
I debated with myself if I wanted to post it up or not. I didn't want to get an argument started or anything along those lines. Like Jesse said it really drives it home. On a brighter note this wasn't an Ohio doe, it was a Kentucky doe. In northern KY it's unlimited doe. 2 doe tags $15 after they rape you for the outta state license and your buck tag. We have figured out that the farm I was hunting is the "deer nursery".. We see all kinds of fawns and does in early and very late season, very little during hunting season.

Like I stated before I had never seen this before and thought it was neat to see, and was hoping y'all thought the same.. I'm glad it didn't start anything and thanks for not grilling me about posting it up..

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I understand what y'all are saying and kinda agree but, shooting a doe after rut and shooting a doe late season is still shooting a doe..... One just reminds you more of the consequences....