Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

one more night in the stand

yotehunter

spencerville oh
I got my daughter back out tonight in the stand. I figured it was a warm enough tonight she might not freeze to death so we smoked up and headed out. We got in the stand around 4:15. The wind picked up and started spitting rain. I could tell she was getting cold. So I asked her if she wanted to get down and walk to the back of the woods. She gladly said yes so we got down and I wanted to scout for trapping sign. So we check the stalk field behind the woods and no deer but a lot of sign. Both deer and coyotes. So we start back towards the stand and there they was. Eight deer 60 yards behind the stand in the stalk field to the north. So we hunker down and wait hoping they would come to the crossing where she could stick one with the crossbow. Well they just fed about eighty yards out from us heading east, before the whole group got by us there was atleast 15 deer go by us. By this time it was dark and they were blending in together. I must say all the deer that went by us was down wind and they never spooked or acted like they wanted too. It was another great night out with my daughter, just wished I would've made her sit till dark in the stand I'm 100 percent sure that we would've had a chip shot for her when they came out of the woods. But if she was cold I didn't want to ruin the experience for her. Either way we had fun

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Glad to hear it. Maybe next time. I hit it tonight as well with some mouth calls and a decoy for coyotes. Ironically, I saw deer. Never see them when you are hunting them. lmao

DXT

Good hunt with the daughter. At least you all seen deer. Quality time in the woods with the youngster.