Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Corn

We are heating 2 houses right now. My son's 3200 ft. and my 2700 ft.
I kept 5 barrels with 180 lbs. each and I get 5 days out of each barrel. So 25 days. So feed rate set on low that's about 2.45 per day. Not bad in my mind. Best investment 1800.00 I ever made and that was 13 yrs. ago.
Now when the temp is lower I have to turn the feed rate up and go through about 8 gallons per day instead of just 5 gallons.
My son has 3 teenagers and they use almost 2 times the amount I do. That gave him 12 barrels.
But I go up each day when I run low and get a bucket full until he runs low. Then when the weather is dry we get a load.

Thanks for the follow-up! Boy that sure seems to be a great way to go and less labor than carrying in logs all the time too.

themedic

OHIO
So I learned something today when buying corn at our Local Feed store/Grain Mill.

You can buy shelled corn out of the grain elevator for $211 for 50 bushel, they keep it in the elevator for a whopping .03 cents a month, you pay a $3 handling fee every time you fetch your corn, but you must get a minimum of 300# per visit. You can pick it up in damn near any container you want....trash cans, tuberware or feed sacks. Thats a hell of a lot better than buying it a bag at a time for $6 a bag. If my math is right....Works out to $3.76 a bag

Last edited: