Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Finally saw it for myself

themedic

OHIO
Neighbor told me about a piebald fawn born at his place this summer. He and I and all the neighbors agreed not to shoot it if given the opportunity. The fawn has stayed in its birth place farm for the most part but he and momma strayed to my place yesterday and i saw him for the first time. meet Cali. The neighbor thinks its a button buck, hopefully he grows into a nice trophy.

Lundy

Interesting and to each their own, but why are you guys passing on a shot? Piebald is the next closest thing to an albino, which is an inbred deer and the start of some poor genetics. Just curious.

Bowhunter57

Some seem to want to kill something that is unique or rare, some want to go out of their way to not kill something unique or rare. I fall into the second camp of thought.

Jamie

Ohio
I was told by a taxidermist friend of mine several years ago after I passed on a piebald button buck three times in one season that I shoulda shot him. apparently, along with the recessive genes that cause their mottled coloration they usually have some sort of genetic kidney deficiency that kills them within a couple of years. I was told that very few piebald bucks reach 2 1/2 years old. never bothered to research that any further as I never saw that deer with antlers, but have no reason to doubt it as I know of no one who has killed a mature piebald buck. would probably be big news in deer hunting circles if somebody has.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
While I see the situation as being unique I'm with Bowhunter57 on this one. If your managing trophy deer then why would you want inferior genetics running around and breeding? Just my 2 cents....

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
would probably be big news in deer hunting circles if somebody has.

You see them from time to time.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
While I see the situation as being unique I'm with Bowhunter57 on this one. If your managing trophy deer then why would you want inferior genetics running around and breeding? Just my 2 cents....

How do you know that recessive trait wasn't passed from a normal looking doe? Kill all the does?

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
That young piebald does have a pretty coat Corey. Thanks for sharing!

Piebalds and albinos are both due to inferior genes or bad genetics from what I've read or have been told but I have seen some impressive sized racks on both types of deer over the years.

Jamie

Ohio
I didn't mean it to imply that it doesn't happen, but rather that it is, supposedly, very unusual; not the normal outcome of such a genetic defect. an extreme rarity.

Kaiser878

ohio
Piebalds are.not an inferior.gene.and have zero impact on antler size. I have a friend who has one and he is a fanatical about.his deer. He spoke directly to grant woods. Who said.it would not.impact the genetics.of.the.herd

Kaiser878

ohio
A piebald and an albino are two completely different genetic make ups. A piebald is.no different than a regular pigmented deer. Other than having partially white fur

I have a 5-6 year old Piebald doe on dad's farm

It is normal in size
She produces "Normal" looking fawns

Yes I would shoot her
But she sticks around the big Rose & Blackberry patch most fall's
A tough place to hunt

John