Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hunting field wash areas

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Does anyone have experience hunting field drains or washes? This year the fields will be in corn and those two washes will look like green runways. I walked through them before, but never hunted them. Maybe add a mineral site out there?

drain.jpg

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I do not.. but, that little patch of woods you got sticking out in the field is an almost guaranteed hotspot. I hunted something similar to that this year, there was corn on 3 sides of me with a farm road to my back and more corn behind that. The deer seemed to funnel into that area browsing, especially in the morning. I messed up bad at that spot, I hit a really nice buck high in the shoulder and he lived on.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
That is where I shot my buck last year, when the corn was off. When the corn was up, I never saw a single deer from stand and I hunted hard.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Mike, we have a lot of these in my areas. Early in the season when it is green, they do see a bunch of action. Problem is, usually they come in from a different spot every time. Now if you start baiting them it could be a different story. Maybe a setup just inside the first row.

Mike
I have hunted field drain ditchs

I hunt the exit end

I found the deer will sometimes bed in the corn and use the drain as a easy exit to a feeding area

For me at least , I found the deer wander out ( exit ) the field at or just after sunset
So it was always a last hour spot
I never killed or saw a large buck
But the doe's and 2 year old bucks used the drain

John

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Similar to John, I hunted one years ago. The drainage was full of foxtail. Deer bedded in it and the surrounding corn. The exited it every evening to feed in an alfalfa field that bordered the corn. I hunkered a row in and shot a doe with my recurve at 8 steps as they headed for the alfalfa. I shot that deer the first week of Ocotber, 1994, and it was HOT.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
When the corn is tall in the summer, I'll place a free standing trail cam and see what's there to see. I'll also throw minerals out there.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Hey buddy! Those places are great for finding shed antlers! Especially if they are low recessed areas. Where they aren't visible from any roads. Just sayin. Lol

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I hunted them this year for the first time. Corn in the fields and yes, it did look like a highway lol. The farmer mowed them a few weeks before the opener of bow season and bailed it so the grass was only back to mid calf height. Setup the blind and that is the only place I had a buck walk past in bow range the entire season. Was 22 yards from one edge to the other edge.

Words of warning: Don't hunt them if it is downpouring lmao.

0915131239_zps8977945c.jpg

0915131239a_zps36b8b14d.jpg

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I hunted them this year for the first time. Corn in the fields and yes, it did look like a highway lol. The farmer mowed them a few weeks before the opener of bow season and bailed it so the grass was only back to mid calf height. Setup the blind and that is the only place I had a buck walk past in bow range the entire season. Was 22 yards from one edge to the other edge.

Words of warning: Don't hunt them if it is downpouring lmao.

View attachment 18957

View attachment 18958

............in a blind sitting in a low spot!rotflmao

Sorry Adam and Dave but that video was hilarious!

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Was pretty funny Ric lol.

Mike, I would give it a shot and see what happens. I did it in good weather and bad lol. Dave and I are still kicking ourselves for not shooting that buck after this season has unfolded the way it has lol. If we would have only known what we know now that buck would be dead and Dave would be tagged out lol. Couple years and we will be back at it sitting in the corn and trying it again and hopefully it will stay dry.