Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

How long can a deer lay?

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
I know people leave deer go for the night if they think it was a so-so hit. But if you actually kill a deer, how long can you let it lay before gutting it?

Let's say temps are in the mid 30's. How long can it lay before gutting it and getting it skinned out w/o ruining the meat?

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I know people leave deer go for the night if they think it was a so-so hit. But if you actually kill a deer, how long can you let it lay before gutting it?

Let's say temps are in the mid 30's. How long can it lay before gutting it and getting it skinned out w/o ruining the meat?

Quite a long time as long as the gut/endtrails weren't hit. Days....

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
Days, really? I can only hunt mornings due to the grandkids getting off the school bus here. If I shot a deer in the morning, (say 8:00 or so) I have to wait until my son and SIL get home from work around 7:00 to help me gut and drag it out.

I was afraid of it laying for 11 or 12 hours, but if I only hunt evenings when the grandkids are not here, that greatly cuts into my hunting time.

teej89

NE PA
Might wanna try tugging it towards your house where you can keep an eye on it. Yotes may find it before you get back to it.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
As long as the temps are below 40 degrees, I would say that it would be alright. I like getting the body hear out as soon as possible and the best way is to gut and skin it.

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
Might wanna try tugging it towards your house where you can keep an eye on it. Yotes may find it before you get back to it.

True. Of course that is assuming I can locate it on my own without getting lost in the woods! lmao Kidding. Mostly.