Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Corn Piles for big Bucks

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Easier than what? As I said it's all relative. Everything is easier than using a stick bow with a loin cloth. But that shouldn't attach a bad stigma to anything else. A stand is easier than being on the ground. A blind is easier than being in a stand. A cam is easier than not having a cam. 60% let off is easier than 40%. It's all relative to what it's being compared to. Hunting over corn is no easier than hunting over a white oak in October. Running a cam over corn is no better than over salt in September. This time of year deer are yarded up over preferred food. It's no easier hunting over corn than it is their preferred food this time of year. It's just a different tactic. Is it easier than other things sure. Short divisions easier than long too.

Yea it is all relative, except for the fact that none of those other things completely alter a deer's behavior like a pile if corn does. Theres nothing wrong with it... Different strokes for different folks I guess. I say its easier, you say its not. Obviously my opinions on baiting will differ from those of the baiters.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Yea it is all relative, except for the fact that none of those other things completely alter a deer's behavior like a pile if corn does. Theres nothing wrong with it... Different strokes for different folks I guess. I say its easier, you say its not. Obviously my opinions on baiting will differ from those of the baiters.

Salt in September doesn't alter their behavior? A white oak dropping doesn't alter their behavior? A clover plot doesn't alter their behavior? Beans turning doesn't alter their behavior? The white oaks being cleaned up and the reds start dropping doesn't alter their behavior? A person or themselves altering their behavior doesn't magically turn them stupid and make them easier to kill.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Salt in September doesn't alter their behavior? A white oak dropping doesn't alter their behavior? A clover plot doesn't alter their behavior? Beans turning doesn't alter their behavior? The white oaks being cleaned up and the reds start dropping doesn't alter their behavior? A person or themselves altering their behavior doesn't magically turn them stupid and make them easier to kill.

So you're saying that a pile of corn placed in front of your stand is exactly the same as any other method of hunting? Please dude... You're kidding yourself.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Man i am starting to hate this thread and wish it was never started, this is one reason i don't go to some of the other forums anymore as it is just so much bitching and moaning over something that is totally legal.Im with Gordo, Horse already.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Man i am starting to hate this thread and wish it was never started, this is one reason i don't go to some of the other forums anymore as it is just so much bitching and moaning over something that is totally legal.Im with Gordo, Horse already.

Don't confuse bitching with healthy debate and so far that's all it is....

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
So you're saying that a pile of corn placed in front of your stand is exactly the same as any other method of hunting? Please dude... You're kidding yourself.

Placing corn in front of your stand is just the same as placing your stand over a white oak, a clover plot, alfalfa field, salt block, early bean field, water source, apple tree, or anything else they eat. One you put the stand there. The other you put the food there. It's the same brother. Move the food, move the stand. Same same.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

Nah. It's just good banter between guys that know eachother. Nobody is running it down, we're just debating if it's easier or not. Not if it's right or not.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Placing corn in front of your stand is just the same as placing your stand over a white oak, a clover plot, alfalfa field, salt block, early bean field, water source, apple tree, or anything else they eat. One you put the stand there. The other you put the food there. It's the same brother. Move the food, move the stand. Same same.

Hahaha. I will just agree to disagree bro.

Hey boarman, quit your bitchin and moanin about all the bitchin and moanin! Lmao

Buckslayer

*Supporting Member*
Jackson County
I have 3-5 corn piles that I run from a month before season through the end of season, I get some nice bucks on cam in summer on mineral, then they disappear. If any mature bucks do show up early season it is almost always at night. I do get quite a few mature bucks on cam come november and we all know why. Following doe into the corn. Simple as that. I have a set of sheds and the deadhead from a nice big 6x6 that I never once had a picture of. Of course late season you will get some photos of mature bucks at bait just because they have to eat. But by no means is it easy. One property I hunt with a few other guys had only one buck taken from it this year, and it was mine. They hunted over bait every single hunt throughout the season and had no encounters with a mature buck. Its not as easy as one would think. Sometimes its just luck.
Also, due to the LARGE amount of hunters throwing out corn piles a day before they start hunting the deer are just becoming more and more educated. Year around bait sites and the only way to go if you want to see improved results.

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
I don't think hunting over a corn pile is easy. I've done it for 30 years from time to time. I would much rather hunt a food plot because the deer are not on high alert like they typically are when on a corn pile. But some people don't have that option. And a corn pile will draw in deer.
I only hunt a corn pile as a last resort, Or if its the best option for a given area. And almost always in late season after the plots have been cleaned up.
If I had to reley on a corn pile to kill a mature buck then I wouldn't have a many on the wall as I do. Most mature bucks wont visit a corn pile until after legal shooting hours.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Jimbo, when was the last time you established and maintained a corn pile solely for the purposes of killing a mature buck and successfully harvested said buck, verifying it was indeed easier? Since I know that answer, you can see where I coming from on this. If you haven't done it, you really don't know. It's just speculation and educated opinions. You're a smart dude, but without really going through the process, you're missing a lot of data that is valuable to formulating such a strong opinion on something that is really fairly easy to prove/disprove. Many of us here have the data and I'm here to tell you brother, it don't ALWAYS make it easier. Can it? Sure can. But it is not a slam dunk in every situation. Nothing is definitive in the whitetail woods and corn piles are no different.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I checked 2 cameras yesterday that were placed over corn piles...holy crap...ive got bucks coming in from everywhere in daylight right now...and a couple good ones...time to get the blind set up and my daughter out there with the crossbow.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Nah. It's just good banter between guys that know eachother. Nobody is running it down, we're just debating if it's easier or not. Not if it's right or not.

What he said. You have to remember that between Joe and I, we've met 100 guys or more from this site. That really changes the nature of an argument. Not to mention we don't have an ethics police here, so no one is worried about if its right or not. If its legal, by all means if it makes you happy. However there are always those hot button issues where reasonable minds will differ. Doesn't mean either is right/wrong, just means they see it differently. We've been accused of group think around here, so I like seeing some of the old school back and forth from other sites. Keeps it lively around here! Hell, we should have Coonie come over here for this one! lmao

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I checked 2 cameras yesterday that were placed over corn piles...holy crap...ive got bucks coming in from everywhere in daylight right now...and a couple good ones...time to get the blind set up and my daughter out there with the crossbow.

Yeah, but you hunt in a zoo! lmao