Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Deer Feeder

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
So you guys that run feeders I have a question for you.

If your battery starts to loose charge does your auger stop spinning like it should?

Mine stopped spinning correctly a couple days ago by the looks of things when I checked it today. I set it to spin while I was there after manually spinning it a few times just to make sure it was not clogged or frozen. The motor kicked on and spun for about 3-4 sec and stopped but the motor kept running until it timed out. It is level so that's not putting it on a bind or anything so the only thing I can think is the battery is not putting enough power to spin it correctly?

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Ouch! That sucks..... Good thing is you can get a motor on ebay for 15.00.

Going to try another battery this weekend and if that doesn't work I will dump the remaining corn in the feeder and bring it back home and look it over. Motor kicks in but for some reason the shaft isn't spinning. Not sure if maybe a gear isn't engaging correctly or what. Might just be low battery not having enough voltage to turn it but enough to trigger the timer and give some power to the motor? Will take a look at it this weekend.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
If you can get to it, I shoved a rag up in one once to hold in the corn. got new motor and pulled the rag out.

5/8" from the plate to the hole so it will take some doing but it could be done. Contacted the place where I got the feeder a couple weeks ago to ask them what I should do with this product. Hope to hear back from them soon but in the mean time I will change the battery and try that and see what happens.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Be too cool if they sent you a motor or whole assembly. I found 2 motors in the basement. If you need me to, I'll make sure they run. I believe they were good and the timer was bad. That beats the 15.00 so send me a PM if need be...I'll send it! What brand is it, this may just take your timer box?

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Be too cool if they sent you a motor or whole assembly. I found 2 motors in the basement. If you need me to, I'll make sure they run. I believe they were good and the timer was bad. That beats the 15.00 so send me a PM if need be...I'll send it! What brand is it, this may just take your timer box?

It is an American Hunter 225 feeder that uses a 6v 5ah battery. I have a generic battery in it right now and is not a rechargeable like I want to get so that I can add a solar charger to it. Just wanted to get it out there and see what would happen before I decided to dump any coin into it lol. I am thinking it is just low on voltage and not working correctly given the junk battery and cold temps we have had. I should have taken the volt meter to it as well but I didn't have time to do that today either. Next trip out I will replace the battery and test the old one with the meter and see what I get out of it.

If I do need that I will PM you and get it. I do appreciate the offer Rick.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
OMG...... I've got what you need RC! I've got 2 of them with bad timers. Hope it's not your timer too! I went to moultrie's since I had 3 go bad in a row. Remington and American Hunters are made my the same manufacturer. I've also got a few of the plastic pieces from moultrie that turn 4 D Batteries into a 6V. I had a rechargeable once that read 6V but would discharge on a feeder in 3 or 4 days. It got frustrating to say the least. I started putting the purchase date on the batteries with a sharpie marker. If any question about battery and date is a few years old.....out it goes! I'll check it tonight and make sure motor is good. Good Luck!

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
OMG...... I've got what you need RC! I've got 2 of them with bad timers. Hope it's not your timer too! I went to moultrie's since I had 3 go bad in a row. Remington and American Hunters are made my the same manufacturer. I've also got a few of the plastic pieces from moultrie that turn 4 D Batteries into a 6V. I had a rechargeable once that read 6V but would discharge on a feeder in 3 or 4 days. It got frustrating to say the least. I started putting the purchase date on the batteries with a sharpie marker. If any question about battery and date is a few years old.....out it goes! I'll check it tonight and make sure motor is good. Good Luck!

That's awesome Rick lol. If I need it I will for sure get with you buddy.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Do to the weather and working today I didn't make it out there to check anything. I did however get a reply email giving me a fedex return label to return the entire thing for replacement lol. Can't beat that as long as you can get out there and get it.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I don't know about all that luck lol. Have you seen how my deer season and trapping season are going lmao. Wish some of that luck would roll over to those things lol.

Ol' Buddy.....If you're having fun, it ain't that bad! :smiley_coolpeace: Things are looking up, feeder's gonna be fixed! :smiley_clap:

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Ol' Buddy.....If you're having fun, it ain't that bad! :smiley_coolpeace: Things are looking up, feeder's gonna be fixed! :smiley_clap:

True but I have to undo it and hual the stupid think a mile back to the truck, then haul it in the house and back into the box lmao. Not going to be fun but at least it is plastic and should slide over the snow well lol.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
They'll probably just swap you the whole metal box on the bottom of the feeder. Moultrie done it for me once because the feeder was like new.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
This is relative to this thread, I've made my own gravity feeder out of pvc but I'm looking to buy an automated feeder. I need ideas of what to look for, brand, accessories, pros and cons. I like my gravity feeder but can't control dispensing.