Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Base layers 101

Buckmaster

Portage
I'll be out this Sat and Sun for muzzy season just sitting.

I'm a little old school and still use my old stuff, Heavy Polartec, followed by real wool, covered with Cabela's bibs, my carhardt HD sweatshirt, then Cabelas parka. Accompanied by baseball gloves, wool mittens, hand warmer in hand muff, a head sock, Ice Man Pack boots, and toe warmers.

If I can't stand that.....it's time to go back to the cabin or walk around. I've hunted in minus 12 before with less gear but that was 20 years ago.

Huckleberry Finn

I'm a little old school and still use my old stuff, Heavy Polartec, followed by real wool, covered with Cabela's bibs, my carhardt HD sweatshirt, then Cabelas parka. Accompanied by baseball gloves, wool mittens, hand warmer in hand muff, a head sock, Ice Man Pack boots, and toe warmers.

I got one of these for my birthday and I can't believe how warm they are. Def. going to pick up another. One for hunting, one for casual use.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Made it to Cabelas this weekend. I looked at the base layers they offered. I bought a top/bottom in the ECWCS Polartec as per recommended by 1023 and Flutey. I also bought a bottom only in the Cabelas MTP polar weight because they had them marked $30. Wish they had a top in my size but they were down to M or XXL XXXL. Not sure what to think of the MTP bottoms as they simply look like fleece pajama pants. Time will tell I guess. Looked real hard at the UA stuff but it would have been an additional $60-70 and the ECWCS seemed like it got as many nods as the UA stuff. The Merino Wool was on my list but got crossed off quickly. They were $135 on up. Not many on here gave them a thumbs up so I didn't see it justifiable to drop $135 when the ECWCS were marked at $55 and had some people giving them some respect.

Not sure when my schedule will allow me to get back after the coyotes. Doubt I have a chance to get my son out on the deer again this season. Whenever I get a chance to test them, I will give a review. If they don't do the trick I guess I will be dropping some more coin for the bibs/parka combo many of you have recommended or the coverall.

Shoulder Blade

If anyone can get to an Under Armor Outlet they had tons of 3.0 baselayer tops for 50% off.

I picked up a XXL top and have added it to my layers. These are a little strange for me but they do seem fairly warm. The 3.0 have a smooth finish on the outside but if you turn it inside-out, they have a thick, 3 dimensional waffle type design that I assume traps heat. The thinnest of the waffle part seems a little thin, but if you have a layer on top of it I think it traps heat fine.

Right now I have been using them as follows:

Medalist silvermax baselayer size XL
UA 3.0 size XXL
Generic gander mountain polarfleece vest size L
Columbia polarfleece zip up size XL
Columbia Grade max jacket with the Omni heat and Omni Wind size XL

Depending on the temps I either use:

A soft shell Koppen jacket From Dicks size XL
or
An old generic polyfill jacket from Old Navy size XL

And finally my thin Gore Tex MT050 rain wear from Cabelas size XL.

I have been messing around with getting a decent technical 800 fill baffled down jacket to replace one or two of the layers I currently use.
These down jackets are extremely packable and warm.

I am becoming obsessed with hunting these subzero temperatures and am researching some mountaineering equipment to enable me to do so.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good info Shoulderblade. Thanks. I still believe my biggest issue in extreme cold hunts for an extended time period will be my feet. Hands with a hand warmer in a hand muff around my waist has always seemed sufficient. The feet I may have to tackle next year.

Shoulder Blade

Good info Shoulderblade. Thanks. I still believe my biggest issue in extreme cold hunts for an extended time period will be my feet. Hands with a hand warmer in a hand muff around my waist has always seemed sufficient. The feet I may have to tackle next year.

Sorel boots work very well, but like all pac boots, they are a bit heavy.