Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

In the market for a new bow

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I prefer the thicker grip for the same reason I used to prefer a thicker handle on a baseball bat. It just feels better (no dick jokes please). That is one of the things I like about my old PSE and the Mission I shot. They both have thicker grips.

Most of the other new bows I shot had that thin grip (all new PSE's are like that) and it just doesn't feel right to me.

teej89

NE PA
I prefer the thicker grip for the same reason I used to prefer a thicker handle on a baseball bat. It just feels better (no dick jokes please). That is one of the things I like about my old PSE and the Mission I shot. They both have thicker grips.

Most of the other new bows I shot had that thin grip (all new PSE's are like that) and it just doesn't feel right to me.

You can also put custom grips on the bow. So if you like the draw cycle and the wall and all you don't like is the grip you could always just replace the grip.

never marry a woman with big hands it makes your dick look small

you can also count on milo for the sex jokes lmao

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Same here. Felt I didn't get the snap without a fatter grip and pine tar. People still look at me funny: "Is that pine tar on an aluminum bat?" lmao

My hitting philosophy is based on comfort, and I preach the same with archery. Regardless of the task, if you're uncomfortable, you're not in optimal shape to perform said task. When you're uncomfortable, you're in your own head before you even start. Not good.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Ive owned a Mathews and a Hoyt. I shoot the Hoyt Vector 32 right now. I absolutely love my bow. Light, quite, smooth and fast. Can anyone give me some info on the summer bow shoot and also some info on Strouds? I want to start planning for both. Thanks. Cottis I hope you find the perfect bow for you.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Ive owned a Mathews and a Hoyt. I shoot the Hoyt Vector 32 right now. I absolutely love my bow. Light, quite, smooth and fast. Can anyone give me some info on the summer bow shoot and also some info on Strouds? I want to start planning for both. Thanks. Cottis I hope you find the perfect bow for you.

We haven't done much planning with those, but look for the last weekend of July to be the shoot and the second/third weekend of October for Strouds.

runhunter

Cotty, some very good info here. I am, and always have been a Hoyt guy. I'm currently shooting a 2011 CRX 32, at 63# and I still love it as much as the day I first shot it. I haven't shot any of the Spyder's yet, but that's because I don't want to buy a new one haha. For a Hoyt guy, I will say, if no one else has yet, have you tried shooting an Elite? My buddy has one, and I REALLY REALLY like the feel of the draw cycle. If I ever switched, which I dont know if I ever will, that's where I'd go.

Antler

Been shooting PSE xforce I bought one of the first ones to come out. I'm currently looking for a new bow. Never owned a Mathews although every time I bought a new bow I shot them (which is about every 5 years) and ended up with something other. That may change this year though. I was in the local shop where i hang out some shooting my xforce when the owner came back and handed me a monster Chill WOW it was literally like nothing went off in my hand. Smoothest Bow by far I ever shot. I'm gonna shoot the new Chill R it is the 2014 version and a little longer witch I like, 33" a to a. I'm gonna shoot a few more before I make a decision but find it hard to think there is anything that smooth out there but that the fun of shopping around.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Before you pull the string on a Chill, try the Mission Ballistic or Blaze. They are very similar and half the cost. Do yourself a favor and shoot one. you'll be surprised!

I've made my decision and will be purchasing the Ballistic soon. Just need to head to the shop.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I actually had a chance to buy a used 2014 Blaze for $400 (bare bow) to my door. However, the warranty is lifetime but not tranferrable. So, I'm opting to go new and the Ballistic is in my price range.

The Blaze deal was hard to pass up as it retails for $600 and it was barely shot.

Antler

Before you pull the string on a Chill, try the Mission Ballistic or Blaze. They are very similar and half the cost. Do yourself a favor and shoot one. you'll be surprised!

I've made my decision and will be purchasing the Ballistic soon. Just need to head to the shop.

Thanks I'll check them out. I like a thick grip too

Kaiser878

ohio
I dont remember if it was in bowhunting or what magazine but they did a study with the worlds top archers. There was one thing that shrunk their groups from 4 inches to 2 inches at 40-50 yards...and that was by taking the grips off their bows. But shooting a bow is mostly mental, and if it doesnt feel right then there isnt much you can do for it. But hand size isnt a factor when shooting bows and grips. Its a proven fact, smaller grips produce less torque

Treed

Stark County
I bought a Hoyt Charger this year. It was Hoyts 2013 RTH package bow. I eventually wound up changing the rest and sight on it so I probably should have just bought the bare bow but I have to say, for what some may call a "budget bow" I'm extremely impressed. It's quiet, light, it shoots great and best of all, it doesn't break the bank. I'm not any kind of fanboy, I would have gotten a Matthews or BowTech just as quick as I did the Hoyt, for me the main factor was cost and feel. Let me tell ya, the cost made me feel pretty damn good. It's an excellent bow at a good price. Bang for bucks wise, it's right up there.