Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

In the market for a new bow

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I haven't shot this past years PSE's, but everything prior I have either shot or had friends family shoot. They are all fast as could be, but they are not getting any more quiet. You can add all the extras and it still wont help. Im still shooting the original X force, and I want to upgrade and stick with PSE, but the noise kind of scares me. If/when I do upgrade, I'm really looking into last year's Hoyt's. There are some great deals on AT

The DNA and Vendetta I shot was quiet.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
They probably made 500,000 of the Bow Madness 3G's and I got the lemon. Took mine back today. They looked at it and couldn't figure out what was making the twanging sound. I shot the one used in the range again and loved it. It's quiet, fast, and accurate. But, in the end, I said piss on it. I shot a G5 that was very nice, but out of my price range. I also shot a few other PSE's, the Diamond Outlaw (not impressed), and a few Bears (not impressed).
Cabelas is just so limited on what they have and it seems too many bows there are made just for them.

I'll be hitting a few shops up around here to shoot some more brands.

I don't see how the PSE is ugly. It looks just like every other bow out there. I think they all look the same.

Anyway, I have plenty of time and still have old faithful if I decide to go out and whack a doe.

Huckleberry Finn

Find a higher end, used bow from someone you trust.

I went from the G to a used Switchback that was Skeeter Creek certified. It fits me well and I'll use it for the foreseeable future (gotta kill a few deer with it). I actually craigslisted the G for more money than it was worth (it was mid-summer) to some kid obviously spending his mommy's money. I was happy. (Of course since you have growing boys it makes sense to keep your G)

buckbuster217

*Supporting Member*
Byesville, Ohio
Hard to find dealers Mike but I have been shooting Pearson bows for several years now and am very impressed with their brand, I currently shoot a 2010 Pearson Legend and will shoot it for quite awhile as it is a very good feeling bow to me.

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
I bought a new G5 Prime Defy last year and I love it. Since I'm a lefty it's usually tough to find good deals on used bows but for righty's they are plentiful. If you don't mind used I bet you can get a good deal on a 2013 Prime. If you want new check out G5's Quest line. Those are nice and pretty sure they are in the $500 price range.

The 2 best 500$ price range bows I have shot this year Bowtech Carbon knight and the Bear Archery Domain..My local shop Buckeye Outdoors HAD two RH 70lb Prime Shifts 28in DL an 29in DL for 399$ NEW a few weeks ago.They are pretty decent bows and Prime offers a free tune up 6 months after purchase and free strings an tune every 2 years to the original owner..Mr Cottis let me know if your wanting to check them out and I will swing by an make sure they still have them,so you dont waste a trip down this way..

Kaiser878

ohio
I hunt with a maxxis 31. I got it.new.in 09 and I am absolutely in love with this.bow. I honestly don't see me getting a new hunting bow for quite a few more years.

I amvery partial to hoyts. Some guys like Matthews. They are good.bows. but tthey have the worst grips on the market. The handles are huge. Hand size makes.no.difference when talking grips... the smaller the grip the less torke u will have. I remove the handles on my hoyts and shoot the bare riser.

If u are not looking at top end.hoyts the midlines are great bows. hoyt revolutionized the cast risers. And that's really the only difference.between top end and midline hoyts....the riser
Same.cams same limbs...etc.

The rampage was hoyts top selling bow two years ago. I have a vector turbo for target shooting and I live it as well. Which is basicly the same bow Beener mentioned in the spyder turbo. Just a few changes.between.models

Hope that helps

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I greatly appreciate all of the input fellas!

I went and shot the Mission Ballistic this evening. It's badass! It was one of those moments where you just say "oh yeah".

It's a dual cam, smooth, quiet, fast bow. Very light and love the feel in my hand.

Don't know much about the dual cam though.

Right now it's my choice. But I will look into the others suggested on here as well. Keep em coming guys.

Flatlander

Darby Creek
I will agree with what many have said, find a high end bow you are in love with and go to AT and look for the best deal. I absolutely fell in love with the Hoyt Carbon Element RKT when I saw it and shot one at my local dealer. I found one on AT totally set up for half the cost! Since then my brother and a good hunting buddy of mine have each bought one and there is no comparison IMO. Smooth, lite weight, warm in the hands during cold weather, no shock on release and deadly accurate!

Last edited:

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I greatly appreciate all of the input fellas!

I went and shot the Mission Ballistic this evening. It's badass! It was one of those moments where you just say "oh yeah".

It's a dual cam, smooth, quiet, fast bow. Very light and love the feel in my hand.

My Mathews Monster MR8 is a dual cam, I love it. It was one of the few bows that would I could get due to my draw length.

Don't know much about the dual cam though.

Right now it's my choice. But I will look into the others suggested on here as well. Keep em coming guys.

My Mathews Monster MR8 is a dual cam and I love it!

Schu72

Streetsboro
Mike...Woodburry in St. Calirsville (old Hidden Valley) is a Bowtech dealer and maybe Hoyt as well. I know that's a little bit af a drive, but if you are ever that way it might be worth stopping in.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I was wondering what Woodbury had to offer. I was waiting on a flyer in the mail, but nothing has come lately.

I'm pretty sure the Mission Ballistic is what I am going to go with. For the price and the way it shoots, I think I'd be crazy not to go for that one.

I did come across a FB deal on a Mathews Switchback, but the guy selling it had no idea what year the bow was made and it was not my draw length (the cams would've needed swapped out). It is probably a great deal at $300, but I was a bit leary based on lack of info.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
and the fact that it's a mathews lmao

Wanna shoot for $20? mischeif.gif

The Switchback series are some of the finest hunting bows ever made and that is a fact, not a fanboy motivated statement. I'm the complete opposite of Zach, the reason I love my Mathews is the grip. I have huge, meaty hands and that grip is a welcoming feeling to me when I grab that bow. Sure shooting a smaller grip eliminates torque issues, but so does good having good form. I actually fought my Strother over the minuteness of the grip and I've never had an issue with my Mathews in that regard. Archery is all about feel, so you just have to find what feels right and let it be regardless of the name stamped on it.

teej89

NE PA
Wanna shoot for $20? mischeif.gif

I saw what you did to those squirrels this fall so nope!

And that's exactly what I didn't like about it, the squared off grips just wasn't fitting my non-meaty hands lol I needed something a little more formed. More of a reason why when you buy a new bow you gotta shoot em all.