Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

In the market for a new bow

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'll try to make this long story short...

I'm half heartedly looking for a new compound bow. I currently own a PSE Super G that I bought back in 2007. At the time it was a HUGE upgrade from the old PSE I was shooting that was a 1970's model. Lol
The Super G is accurate, but not very fast. Most "experts" that did reviews on it back in the day say it was flying at 285 FPS. So, with the speed of newer bows, I figured I could use an upgrade. However, my Super G is like that old dependable truck that you don't have the heart to replace.

I went to Cabelas the day after Christmas with gift cards in hand along with an employee pricing discount card. I shot a few bows and narrowed it down to the PSE Bow Madness G3 and the Bowtech Regulator that was made especially for Cabelas. The price range was around $500 before my discounts and gift cards. To be honest, I could've shot these bows blindfolded and not known the difference. Both were smooth and quiet. I basically flipped a coin and walked out with the PSE Bow Madness just to stay loyal to my PSE roots. The other thing was that the Regulator had "Cabelas" written down the limbs. I know it'snot a fashion show out in the woods, but I couldn't get past that.

The next day I went out back to shoot my new bow and it sounded like shit! Literally, the string sounded like a banjo. I made adjustments to the string stop. Same results. So, I am making a trip back to Cabelas tomorrow to return the bow. In my eyes, the purchase is not justified because as I shot my old bow and alternated it with the new, I could not see a major improvement and in fact, my old bow was better. Speed? The new one. Penetration? The new one my an eyelash. Noise? My old one blew it away! And, I think my old one is kinda noisy.

So, I am writing to hear about any suggestions on new bows out there that you have shot and like. Or maybe you swear by your bow. If so, what do you have? My price range is around $500 give or take.

My recent research has lead me to investigate the PSE Sinister and the Diamond Outlaw. Maybe you guys know something about these bows? Feel free to provide input. Also feel free to tell me that I'm crazy for wanting to cast off my old bow and I should put my money to use somewhere else... like new rims for the truck or something. Lol

Any input would be appreciated.

(PS, Flutey told me to check out the Mission Ballistic and Mission Blaze but I can't find them on sale anywhere!)

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have no clue. Shoot what feels good to you and you shoot well is all I have to offer. Same advice which has been offered to me in the past several times.

Only thing I can tell you is: DO NOT SELL YOUR OLD BOW! It has been with you for nearly 7 years? You have killed deer with it. You won't get squat out of used bows. It is a tried and true proven winner for you. I bought a new one this year. Had an issue with it. Pulled my "old bow" out and didn't miss a beat. Was a great feeling knowing I wasn't going to miss out on any bow season.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
This may not help, but I'm not really a fan of PSE or Bowtech bows, and that includes Diamond. Bowtech has had too many problems to count over the years and PSE, well, I just don't like them. Check out the classified ads on archerytalk... there are a ton of high quality bows for sale at a good price.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
This may not help, but I'm not really a fan of PSE or Bowtech bows, and that includes Diamond. Bowtech has had too many problems to count over the years and PSE, well, I just don't like them. Check out the classified ads on archerytalk... there are a ton of high quality bows for sale at a good price.

I'm a little reluctant to go used only because I'm not sure how the previous guy took care of it.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm a little reluctant to go used only because I'm not sure how the previous guy took care of it.

I can understand that. However, most people selling used bows take a TON of pictures... at least the ones that are serious about selling. You can tell a lot from pictures IMO. Dings in the finish, frayed strings/cables, grip wear, dings in the cams, etc.... all things easily visible in most quality pictures. If you don't see any of these things, chances are the owner took pretty good care of the bow. I mean, how many truly used hunting bows do you see without and blemishes or dings on them? Very few. If it's a clean bow, it was babied. As long as you research the seller a bit and do your own due diligence, you should be fine. I bought my Strother used and couldn't be happier. I even sold my Elite z28 after the fact, and I had TWICE the money in that Elite than I did the Strother. Hell, I may not buy a bow brand new ever again. It's like buying a new car... They depreciate so much after that initial purchase it's ridiculous.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
If I were looking for a new bow it would be a last year Hoyt, Bowtech or PRIME on AT. Specifically a Hoyt Spyder Turbo, Bowtech Experience or PRIME Impact. I have the Impact now but would have bought the Experience if it were a bit longer bow.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Jagermeister brings up a good point: Strother. I don't know much about them. Nothing really. They sure do seem to have quite the following around here though. Might be worth looking into?

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I have no clue. Shoot what feels good to you and you shoot well is all I have to offer. Same advice which has been offered to me in the past several times.

Only thing I can tell you is: DO NOT SELL YOUR OLD BOW! It has been with you for nearly 7 years? You have killed deer with it. You won't get squat out of used bows. It is a tried and true proven winner for you. I bought a new one this year. Had an issue with it. Pulled my "old bow" out and didn't miss a beat. Was a great feeling knowing I wasn't going to miss out on any bow season.

I plan on keeping my old one if I end up getting a new one (or used). I wouldn't get anything out of it anyway.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Phil's right! I am glad to hear that your keeping your old bow. Always good to have a back up bow anyway. You haven't mentioned Mathews? I have a switchback and love it! My buddy finds some good deals on E-Bay. Just a thought.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
The reason I recommended the Mission Blaze is because it has an IBO of 340, and is essentially the same thing as a Mathews Chill, but with an MSRP of $500. I shot it and was very impressed with the draw and the speed, but it isn't the most attractive bow on the market.

Obviously, there are a ton of great bows out there. I've been looking at purchasing a new (used) bow as well. I'm looking at the Hoyt bows, as well as the Elite, I've considered Bowtech, and if I could find a Prime dealer, I would check them out as well.

My plan is to keep my Z28 and try to find something with a little more speed for shooting 3D. The Z has me spoiled, so it might be hard to get away from using it during bow season though. I personally had my sights set on a Spyder Turbo, but I had mixed feelings when I shot one.

If I were you, I would just get out there and try some different stuff and see what you like. Take your bow with you so you can shoot it next to the ones you are trying so you can see the differences in the way they shoot.

Ricer2231

If I were looking for a new bow it would be a last year Hoyt, Bowtech or PRIME on AT. Specifically a Hoyt Spyder Turbo, Bowtech Experience or PRIME Impact. I have the Impact now but would have bought the Experience if it were a bit longer bow.

I agree with Beener. You can get some crazy good deals on AT. Plus that Hoyt Spyder Turbo is a truly bad ass bow. I have a connection on a left handed Spyder, last years model, is why I asked if ya were rh or lh.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I can understand that. However, most people selling used bows take a TON of pictures... at least the ones that are serious about selling. You can tell a lot from pictures IMO. Dings in the finish, frayed strings/cables, grip wear, dings in the cams, etc.... all things easily visible in most quality pictures. If you don't see any of these things, chances are the owner took pretty good care of the bow. I mean, how many truly used hunting bows do you see without and blemishes or dings on them? Very few. If it's a clean bow, it was babied. As long as you research the seller a bit and do your own due diligence, you should be fine. I bought my Strother used and couldn't be happier. I even sold my Elite z28 after the fact, and I had TWICE the money in that Elite than I did the Strother. Hell, I may not buy a bow brand new ever again. It's like buying a new car... They depreciate so much after that initial purchase it's ridiculous.

That he said. Shoot 20 different bows, then use AT to your benefit if you're not in a huge hurry. There are some great bows on there!

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate the insight. There are so many bows out there it is overwhelming. I'll check out AT. Heading to Cabelas now to get my money back!

Flutey, I found a local dealer that has the Ballistic. I might go shoot it this evening.

DXT

I would suggest used to. My friend buys 3-4 bows a year and sells them that same year. You can get a good upper end bow like new for a reasonable price. Many folks buy the latest and greatest and end up selling in a short time, my friend is one of them. Just be sure they have good sellers feedback and you should be good.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That he said. Shoot 20 different bows, then use AT to your benefit if you're not in a huge hurry. There are some great bows on there!

True true. End of the season. Guys are upgrading. Guys are broke after the holidays. Hunting season is over for the most part for many people. You have time on your side. Shoot as many as you can and narrow it down to what you like best. Then do the hardest thing there is to do: Wait. Wait for a steal. There will be one out there with your name on it.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I haven't shot this past years PSE's, but everything prior I have either shot or had friends family shoot. They are all fast as could be, but they are not getting any more quiet. You can add all the extras and it still wont help. Im still shooting the original X force, and I want to upgrade and stick with PSE, but the noise kind of scares me. If/when I do upgrade, I'm really looking into last year's Hoyt's. There are some great deals on AT