Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Dogs

TwistedX

That reminds me, I keep getting a dog from a nearby house & it keeps going right where the deer are coming & going from The Lot. We really don't know the people well & the guy there is a real asshole for what we do know. It's my intention when I see him out to stop, say hello & let him be aware that traps & snares are being ran. If the dog continues to run after that, at least he was given notice. So, you'd think he'd wanna keep the dog in their fenced in yard, but I doubt it will happen.

Snares work well for ending dog problems!!

Mike said:
Thanks guys. My buddy put a pretty good scare on this pooch during gun season, he ran out of his spots lol, but it didn't last. I'll talk to the owner. They always seem to be yelling at him.

Huckleberry Finn said:
.22 q-tip, right behind the ear.
Mike,
If the dog and the owner have already been notified, (if it were me) I wouldn't waste my time in conversation. The ".22 q-tip" works well. Judging by the way that beast is sniffing out the bait sight, it knows what it's doing, where to go and what it's hunting. Having already invested the time in the hunting area, it would piss me off to have this happen in an area that I was hunting.

I wish you luck with your decision.
Bowhunter57

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Pay a visit too the owner mike.... Explain the situation and how unhappy you are with his handling of his dog and you'd hate too see him (the owner) get his ass kicked for his inaction on this matter...,,

Dogs just doing what dogs do.....

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I will talk to them. I'll also tell him that I'm going to start trapping with leg holds and snares and that I'd hate for his dog to get caught up.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I will talk to them. I'll also tell him that I'm going to start trapping with leg holds and snares and that I'd hate for his dog to get caught up.
or that you wont be held responsible for the outcome if he cant keep him under control.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Not sure if you could find a large enough live trap? Then remove collar and take him to humane society. Or remove the lead bullet from a .22 and pack it with aluminum foil balls. That hurts like hell

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
They are nice people... and he owns a backhoe. I want him to dig my waterhole so I need to play nice.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I wouldn't even mention the dog is a problem or bothering you. Just show up and be a friendly neighbor. Let him know that you've seen the dog out and about and tell him you're running snares. Be nice and tell him that you wanted to let him know so you don't accidentally catch it. Then when you do catch it just get rid of it and pretend like it never happened. If he comes a knocking tell him you haven't see the dog since yall spoke. By being nice upfront it'll make the later story much more believable and he's less likely to show up pissed or call you a liar.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I would also have a real tough time killing a dog. Don't feel bad. I have let more cats walk than I care to admit as well. Random cat out in the middle of nowhere killing small game? Sure. If I am slightly close to a house I would not. I am not a cat fan, but I have a heart. I couldn't kill someone's pet.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I would also have a real tough time killing a dog. Don't feel bad. I have let more cats walk than I care to admit as well. Random cat out in the middle of nowhere killing small game? Sure. If I am slightly close to a house I would not. I am not a cat fan, but I have a heart. I couldn't kill someone's pet.

Exactly.

Lundy

Maybe it is just me:), I couldn't shoot a dog unless it was the last choice in a really bad situation. Messing up my hunting doesn't even begin to qualify

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
Maybe it is just me:), I couldn't shoot a dog unless it was the last choice in a really bad situation. Messing up my hunting doesn't even begin to qualify

X~2. The only dog I even thought about shooting (and actually did shoot at) was a mean Rott that kept coming on my property attacking my chained dog and scaring my kids. And even then, I gave the owner fair warning that I would be shooting to kill. (Unfortunately I missed, but after that she never let it run loose again)

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Messing up my hunting doesn't even begin to qualify

Not just you...
Now if it was obviously rabid or sick, that's a different thing.
I think the funniest suggestion so far is the corn cob/turpentine trick. LMAO.