Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Dogs

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Some of y'all need a 200k loan and drive 2 hours every two weeks to mow grass and work on food plots and then you may feel a little different about your hunting time

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Some of y'all need a 200k loan and drive 2 hours every two weeks to mow grass and work on food plots and then you may feel a little different about your hunting time

What's the 200k loan for? I'm lucky enough to have several properties within 15 minutes of my house, and I'd still pull the corn cob trick on any of them.

Antler

Have had my property 2 years. Have a pack of dogs on cam several times. No collars on any of them. First day of gun season last year they ran 2 deer by me, got around me and started grwoling at me while I was in my stand. I scoped them a few times but didnt shoot as I didn't want any problems. This year our first sit in bow season my brother pulls out the can call and calls these dogs in. No doubt they are hunting and chasing deer from our property. They need to go! We bought our property with the specific purpose of hunting. We have super thick areas on our property that should hold deer but these dogs come through all the time. I asked the neighbor across the road about them he said they didnt belong to anybody that he takes shots at them when he see'e them. Have been nice so far but that is about to end.

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
In Ohio, if a dog is on your property and is menacing or aggressive, you are allowed to shoot to kill. If it is just being a nuisance (like getting into trash) then you are not.
Growling is definitely menacing.

Edit:
That's the rule in Licking County. Guess I'm not positive it is the rule for all of Ohio.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Have had my property 2 years. Have a pack of dogs on cam several times. No collars on any of them. First day of gun season last year they ran 2 deer by me, got around me and started grwoling at me while I was in my stand. I scoped them a few times but didnt shoot as I didn't want any problems. This year our first sit in bow season my brother pulls out the can call and calls these dogs in. No doubt they are hunting and chasing deer from our property. They need to go! We bought our property with the specific purpose of hunting. We have super thick areas on our property that should hold deer but these dogs come through all the time. I asked the neighbor across the road about them he said they didnt belong to anybody that he takes shots at them when he see'e them. Have been nice so far but that is about to end.

In that type of instance, I'd say go ahead & light 'em up. At least , that's my rule.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I don't know the law but if they were growling at me and threatening me while walking to/from the stand I think I would have to make a judgement call in the heat of the moment. Doesn't sound like someone's "pet" running loose. Sounds like a pack of wild dogs to me.