Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Dogs

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
How do you keep a neighbors dog off your property without actually injuring it? It's getting kind of old seeing only dog videos on my trail cam. :smiley_confused_vra

A BB gun or paint ball both work wonders if you can catch it on your place

As I paint Balled a neibors dog
That guy claimed his dog never left his yard

But 3 paint ball hits was a sure sign to him that the dog wandered onto my place

And a BB gun ( not pellet gun ) will not break the skin
But hurts

John

Ricer2231

Grandpa used to soak a corncob in turpentine and when the neighbors dog would visit he would catch it and rub that corncob across its ass 3-4 times. I saw him do it right after a summer shower and that dog took off like a shot dragging its ass in every mud puddle it came to heading back home. Never did see that or any other dog around after they got a dose of the corncob.

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
If you have a leash law, you can show the video/pics to the owner of the dog and mention the leash law.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
That reminds me, I keep getting a dog from a nearby house & it keeps going right where the deer are coming & going from The Lot. We really don't know the people well & the guy there is a real asshole for what we do know. It's my intention when I see him out to stop, say hello & let him be aware that traps & snares are being ran. If the dog continues to run after that, at least he was given notice. So, you'd think he'd wanna keep the dog in their fenced in yard, but I doubt it will happen.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Seems the majority of the problem dogs I've had experience with the owners could care less until you either point it out too them or something happens too them then it's the biggest deal in the world what happened too their beloved family member.....

Paintball sends a message too both animal and owner....

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
During deer season I handle it differently. But understand your concern.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Had this problem all fall. Made one attempt to notify owner and then called the dog warden. Not one problem since!

I had the same dog problem years ago and our old GW told me to take care of it quietly. What do mean?
Frank, just take care of it quietly and don't tell anyone. I could joke around with him but not the new GW.

I like the idea of the paint balls sending a message to both dog and owner, but you've got to purchase the gear and catch the dog on your property. As good of an idea as this is, it's a huge waste of valuable hunting time and money.

I would handle it one of two ways:
#1 Legal: Notify the owner (very politely) of the problem and your legal course of action.
#2 The SSS Rule.

The bad thing about the above 2 ways of handling it is that you have to choose one or the other and stick with it. You can not choose method #1 and switch to method #2 and certainly not the other way around. If you know that the legal method is going to work, then that's the course of action I'd take. If not, method #2 works like a charm.

Bowhunter57

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I like the idea of the paint balls sending a message to both dog and owner, but you've got to purchase the gear and catch the dog on your property. As good of an idea as this is, it's a huge waste of valuable hunting time and money.

I would handle it one of two ways:
#1 Legal: Notify the owner (very politely) of the problem and your legal course of action.
#2 The SSS Rule.

The bad thing about the above 2 ways of handling it is that you have to choose one or the other and stick with it. You can not choose method #1 and switch to method #2 and certainly not the other way around. If you know that the legal method is going to work, then that's the course of action I'd take. If not, method #2 works like a charm.

Bowhunter57

Pretty sure both of your ways would take the same amount of time from hunting as paintballing with pepper spray. Option #2 you still have to sit there and wait for it to be on your property. Option #1 you will spend a lot more time with legal fees on top of that.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Thanks guys. My buddy put a pretty good scare on this pooch during gun season, he ran out of his spots lol, but it didn't last. I'll talk to the owner. They always seem to be yelling at him.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I'm of the opinion that if you have to tell them, I highly doubt they are going to understand it any further after speaking with them about . Stupid sucks sometimes

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
The culprit.
[video=youtube;TknoggZwV80]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TknoggZwV80&feature=youtu.be[/video]