Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Aluminum arrows?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Pros
They are heavy which means a lot of kinetic energy.
They bend less than aluminum
Probably one of the most accurate hunting shalfs out there.

Cons
They still bend
They use Easton's HiT insert which a lot of people do not like.

Really? I've shot Axis arrow for about 8 years now I guess and I've never had a single issue with a HiT insert. I don't think I've ever had a BH not spin true when using them. Never had one pull out or drive deeper and they're a breeze to put in. I wonder what people don't like about them. I guess the only negative I can see is guys that shoot mechanical heads and the blades slap back hard enough to cut the adapter ring and split the end of the shaft. The first year bowhunting I shot scorpion XPs and had that happen twice. I think that's more of a failure with the BH ring than the shaft as I've never had that problem with slick tricks.

I don't think I've ever bent a carbon either. I've seen guys bend the FMJ shafts that are carbon over aluminum but all of my straight carbon Axis shafts spin true. And trust me I give them he'll. Ask any of the guys that's shot 3d with us and they'll tell ya, we rarely shoot from the stakes and skipping them off trees is a common occurrence. Lol. Just flex them real good 360 degrees and back in the quiver they go.

The last experience I had with aluminum was with Game Getter II years and years ago. But I remember that if you nicked one and flexed it to check, it would bust in half pretty easy. So will Carbon if it's compromised but I remember aluminum doing the same. I do remember the aluminum wasn't nearly as forgiving with slapping shafts or stacking them in there, seemed like bent, nicked, and flat spots were common.

Last edited:
Really? I've shot Axis arrow for about 8 years now I guess and I've never had a single issue with a HiT insert. I don't think I've ever had a BH not spin true when using them. Never had one pull out or drive deeper and they're a breeze to put in. I wonder what people don't like about them. I guess the only negative I can see is guys that shoot mechanical heads and the blades slap back hard enough to cut the adapter ring and split the end of the shaft. The first year bowhunting I shot scorpion XPs and had that happen twice. I think that's more of a failure with the BH ring than the shaft as I've never had that problem with slick tricks.

I don't think I've ever bent a carbon either. I've seen guys bend the FMJ shafts that are carbon over aluminum but all of my straight carbon Axis shafts spin true. And trust me I give them he'll. Ask any of the guys that's shot 3d with us and they'll tell ya, we rarely shoot from the stakes and skipping them off trees is a common occurrence. Lol. Just flex them real good 360 degrees and back in the quiver they go.

The last experience I had with aluminum was with Game Getter II years and years ago. But I remember that if you nicked one and flexed it to check, it would bust in half pretty easy. So will Carbon if it's compromised but I remember aluminum doing the same. I do remember the aluminum wasn't nearly as forgiving with slapping shafts or stacking them in there, seemed like bent, nicked, and flat spots were common.

I've have only had one issue with the HiT inserts in either the Axis and FMJ. I broke a G5 styker broadhead off at the head. So the threaded shaft of the broadhead remained inside the HiT insert. Since you can not use a low temp melt glue with the HiT inserts the arrow was done. Do a google search you will find that a lot of people don't like the HiT inserts. I don't have an big issue with them. However I really do not see why they can not make a traditional insert for the fmj and axis.

When I wrote Pros and cons I was speaking to the FMJ's not that Axis. The FMJ's are carbon covered by a very thin aluminum jacket. Carbon will retain its straightness as long as the shaft is not compromised.

I agree 100% with your third paragraph.

matthewusmc8791

NE Ohio
Thanks everyone for passig on the info... If you are referencing a hunting shaft, why is everyone skipping them off trees, rocks and everything else you can find... lol... anyways good luck with them...