Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What would you do?

teej89

NE PA
So weeks ago I got my stand stolen from the property I hunt on. I told the land owner and the land owner knew of the guy due to the fact that they live relatively close. Well he told me he is getting the stand back and it started with the guy who stole it is dropping it off. Then the land owner said he didn't get around to it cuz of work. Which I believe because he either owns the comp or is very high up. He can be called away for week for weeks at a time on a days notice. Anyways I never had any problem getting in contact with him. The last time I saw him was the first week of november and the landowner told me the guy who stole my stand took it to his shop so the land owner can pick it up. Well that's the last I've heard from the land owner. I called him 2 times in november and left him a voicemail asking him to call me back once. Then I called him a couple days ago and no answer and I left a message asking if he got my stand back and if not if he wouldn't mind giving me the guys address to his shop so I could go get it. Well I still haven't heard from him. I have cams on the property I need to go grab, would it be rude to knock on his door and ask him about my stand? Or what should I do here? I know the guys first and last name who stole my stand and I could find him on the auditors website and go to his house and get my stand also.

What's your opinion.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I for one wouldn't approach the thief in person. You could stop by the landowner and say hi.
Either way it's touchy.

Gordo

Athens County
Yeah. There's obviously more to it. Why did the guy take it in the first place? Is the land owner calling him a 'thief'?

Just an odd situation. The guy 'Stole' your stand and now is bringing it back? Someone pulled that shit with me one time and it didnt end well for them.

Strange.

I'd go talk to the land owner and just ask WTF the deal is. If he's a decent guy you should be fine and he understands, and you find out what deal really is.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Dang Teej, that's a toughy! Wouldn't want to piss the LO off by being pushy but Fugg! You want your stolen stand back TOO! Maybe the LO is busy and hasn't been home to take care of it but I would want this straightened out as well!

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Do you plan on hunting there anymore? I'd go ask him about, if it was me personally, I would go to the assholes shop and get it back.

teej89

NE PA
I'm not really planning on hunting there anymore. There's definitely some good bucks there but I went there the weekend before gun season and there was signs of trespassers galore starting with the gate chain being cut.

What it is is 2 properties. I don't know the second land owner but got permission for it thru the guy I know, the other land owner. And what happened was the guy that stole my stand is actually the other land owners EX-son in law and he's forbidden to be on the prop and I have multiple trail cam pics of him on the property. So the LO I know heard I got my stand stolen he knew who it was cuz apparently the ex SIL was complaining that he had a hunch someone was hunting/trespassing on his ex FIL land.

So the guy I know approached the EX SIL and told him he was gonna turn him in to his EX FIL if he didn't hand it back. And the guy flat out agreed to turn it in. Apparently he still wants to get back with the lady but she wants nothing to do with him or something like that.

Sounds like an episode of Maury haha

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Stop in with a baked good for Christmas and shoot the shit with him, let the conversation naturally flow into it.... If it doesn't then drop the bomb on him since you're not hunting it anymore..... Good luck......

teej89

NE PA
Stop in with a baked good for Christmas and shoot the shit with him, let the conversation naturally flow into it.... If it doesn't then drop the bomb on him since you're not hunting it anymore..... Good luck......

Never thought bout cookies, I think I'm gonna do that. I was gonna do like a $50 gift card but since I really only hunted it three times and have him summer sausage from my doe and i dont plan on returning I was feeling that was overboard.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member

I was gonna say the same thing. Cookies or a gift card for a restaurant or something as a thank you for letting you hunt there and then gradually get to the question.

From the sounds of it the LO has a lot on his plate with work and other things that this is a low priority. I'd even go as far to say that he's probably just tired of all the crap that has gone on and just wants some peace and quiet. With that though, he gave you his word he would try to get it back. I'd do what the others have said and that's swing by, drop off some cookies or dessert and start a conversation. I would say he will be the one to bring up the stand first and hopefully he has it by then. I definitely would not go to the person who allegedly stole it to confront him. First you have to have proof or things could get real ugly if he decides to deny everything. Second, he may have already given the stand to the LO and you going there would just stir up a hornets nest. Good luck on it.....

Gordo

Athens County
I wouldnt be a total asshole but i wouldnt sugar coat it when u make the holiday drop. 'Any word from the guy who stole my stand?'

teej89

NE PA
So i'm thinking i'm gonna get him cookies. However it's a crap shoot if he's home or not and it's an 1.5hr drive. So I'm gonna get a card also so if he isn't there I can have the cookies boxed up and leave them there with a card on it.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
IMO, as hard as it is to get hunting permission these days, if it does hold some very good deer I wouldn't burn this bridge though! I'd be happy just hunting on the ground in a ghille suit or portable blind on great property than public land where what you're dealing with is the norm and by POS's you don't even know. I'd just handle this to where you still can hunt here as a backup. The gift card or cookies sound nice!

IMO, as hard as it is to get hunting permission these days, if it does hold some very good deer I wouldn't burn this bridge though! I'd be happy just hunting on the ground in a ghille suit or portable blind on great property than public land where what you're dealing with is the norm and by POS's you don't even know. I'd just handle this to where you still can hunt here as a backup. The gift card or cookies sound nice!

I agree! You never know what the future holds and is best to keep a few alternatives just in case.