Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Lot's of questions

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I was wondering what the advantages of a Lone Wolf type stand with sticks has over a climber. Is it the limb issue only? Although I've never used sticks and a hang on, it seems like it would be harder than a climber, at least for me.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio

Haven't used it personally, but it's got a similar bracket system for the stand as the Millennium or LW. I'm here to tell you that a bracket is the way to go. It's a heck of a lot less hastle to hang a stand. I always felt like I needed two more hands when hanging the typical hang-on.

I was wondering what the advantages of a Lone Wolf type stand with sticks has over a climber. Is it the limb issue only? Although I've never used sticks and a hang on, it seems like it would be harder than a climber, at least for me.

Really, it all boils down to preference and how you like to hunt. I hunt a lot of brushy junk with small trees, stuff it would take me an hour to get a climber up, trimming all the vines and limbs out of the way. It's also easier to climb crooked trees (IMO). The biggest factor for me though is I never felt 100% comfortable using a climber. I always hated having to guess what angle to set your base at so it was level when you got to where you wanted to be. That and I had a climber slip on me twice. I just feel better using a hang on, and the time and weight difference isn't enough to make me wanna go back to a climber.

Diablo54

Outside
Haven't used it personally, but it's got a similar bracket system for the stand as the Millennium or LW. I'm here to tell you that a bracket is the way to go. It's a heck of a lot less hastle to hang a stand. I always felt like I needed two more hands when hanging the typical hang-on.

I thought it looked like a good one. Only 13pounds with the leveling system and the bracket. I understand how much easier it would be with a bracket system. I noticed that lw has a bracket system like summit but I wasnt sure if it was as advanced or convenient.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I thought it looked like a good one. Only 13pounds with the leveling system and the bracket. I understand how much easier it would be with a bracket system. I noticed that lw has a bracket system like summit but I wasnt sure if it was as advanced or convenient.

The LW hanging bracket is just to hold the stand in place while you attach the other straps. I don't think it's made to support the weight of a person. I could be wrong. The only thing I see on the Summit that I personally don't care much for is the way the leveling system works. I think I would prefer a cable that locks into place rather than just picking the right slot for the cable. I do however like how the cable is ran through the metal pipe, keeping it as wide as the platform.

Diablo54

Outside
Do you have a tough time taking all this down in the dark? I could see myself getting fed up with it and leaving it in a certain spot.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I don't. Once you get use to hanging the set, you develop a routine. It's to the point now I think I could do it blindfolded, if the tree was straight and didn't have any limbs. It's no different then using a climber, everything is repetitive.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Really, it all boils down to preference and how you like to hunt. I hunt a lot of brushy junk with small trees, stuff it would take me an hour to get a climber up, trimming all the vines and limbs out of the way. It's also easier to climb crooked trees (IMO). The biggest factor for me though is I never felt 100% comfortable using a climber. I always hated having to guess what angle to set your base at so it was level when you got to where you wanted to be. That and I had a climber slip on me twice. I just feel better using a hang on, and the time and weight difference isn't enough to make me wanna go back to a climber.

Good points! Thanks.

Diablo54

Outside
I don't. Once you get use to hanging the set, you develop a routine. It's to the point now I think I could do it blindfolded, if the tree was straight and didn't have any limbs. It's no different then using a climber, everything is repetitive.

Yeah seems like you would get used to using it. How many LW sticks do you use. I named this thread "lots of questions" for a reason:smiley_crocodile: