Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2012 Ohio 10 Point Crossbow

DeerHunter42

Medina, Co.
Hello everyone, I've been meaning to create and share my story of my first respectable buck. I'm sorry if it is a little lengthy, but I promise it is an incredible story! Nov. 10th, 2012 I was hunting private property in Harrison Co. that my family has owned for over 15 years. 2012 was my first year bow hunting (I usually only hunted gun season every year). The MORNING of Nov. 10th both me and my father hunted about 100-150 yards from each other. Around 8-8:30am my father said a 10 point was coming my way chasing a doe, but both were out of range for him to get a shot. As the doe came, the buck did not show himself. In fact, I did not hear or see him at all. We did not see anything else the rest of the morning so we went to the house for lunch and got back in the woods around 1pm. I hunted a different stand very close to my prior one but down a hill in the woods about 60 yards. My father went to the stand I was in during the morning. Around 3pm I had a decent 8 point pass me and I held off hoping I'd get a shot at something bigger. Out of the corner of my eye I saw what I thought was antlers move. I looked closely in the direction, but saw nothing that looked like a deer. This happened 2 or 3 more times and I honestly figured I was playing mind tricks on myself. There was a good amount of light left but I figured I would have him put a drive on for me to make sure. As my dad walked over to me at the top of the hill, about 60 yards away from me was the big 10 point popping his head up watching my dad bedded! I wasn't playing mind games with myself! The crazy part about it was that the deer watched my father walk past and was not bothered by him at all. I quietly yelled to my dad to put a drive on because there was a nice buck bedded 60 yards from me. He put on the perfect drive and the deer trotted and stopped broadside at 15 yards from my stand and I double lunged him! He ran about 30 yards and crashed! Crazy thing about it was that it was the exact same buck from the morning! What an incredible hunt and one that I will never forget!! If it wasn't for my dad I would have never been able to get a shot at this beautiful deer. Thanks for reading!!

Attachments

• 10 Point.jpg
    10 Point.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 63
  • Deer 10.jpg
    Deer 10.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Congrats on such a nice buck! I like the character to it.

(I don't care what you do, but you may want to check your laws on communications while hunting)

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Yeah, using a cell phone or two way radio falls under the "Fair Chase" rules.
Congrats to you and your Dad on a nice buck and time spent together in the timber.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Nice buck, congrats on sharing he experience with you dad as well....

I also echo what the others mentioned about the phone thing..... They frown on that.....

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Congrats on a nice buck! Pretty cool your dad was a part of the harvest. That'll be something you both will never forget! Thanks for sharing and welcome to TOO.