Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Good book thread

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
It's winter and a good time to catch up on reading.

A good friend and neighbor just gave me a book that looks good "Faith Afield, A Sportsman's Devotional" by Steve Scott. I know the author, he's active in a local youth archery program.

It's divided up into a bunch of 1-2 page chapters.

http://www.amazon.com/Faith-Afield-A-Sportsmans-Devotional/dp/0801015103

A couple other books sitting here waiting to be read are
Boarder Wars of the Upper Ohio Valley by William Hintzen
http://www.amazon.com/Border-Wars-U...sr=1-1&keywords=border+wars+of+the+upper+ohio

Churchill's Bunker by Richard Holmes
http://www.amazon.com/Churchills-Bunker-Cabinet-Culture-Secrecy/dp/0300177488

Huckleberry Finn

Lone Survivor, Marcus Luttrell.

Unbroken, Laura Hillenbrand

The Red Circle, Brandon Webb

My Grandfather's Son, Clarence Thomas

Jamie

Ohio
The Tender Carnivore and the Sacred Game, Paul Shepard (or anything written by Paul Shepard)

The Old Man and the Boy, Robert Ruarke

Tigrero!, Sasha Seimel

Walden, Henry David Thoreau

A Sand County Almanac, Aldo Leopold

Jamie

Ohio
River of Doubt. borrowed, not mine, so I can't remember the author, but it's about Teddy Roosevelt's trip down a tributary of the Amazon River.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
All of Peter Capsticks books are great reads!!!!

I have almost a complete set of Capsticks books. I met him at the Shot Show before he passed away. I wasn't impressed with his personality. If you wasn't spending money on his books he wasn't interested. At that time everyone said he was a has-been. But good reads tho.

For some reason my new computer always errors out on Amazon.

My 1st choice for book buys has always been a used-new book dealer complex of alibris.com
they always have used or new at great prices.

Another good book buying site is biblio.com always a good selection and good prices.

Last edited:

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Lions in the Path, Stewart Edward White

The White books are great reads. I have a complete set of his books.

When I did gunshows setups almost full-time 20-25 yrs. ago I sold the top shelve gun, hunting and Africa hunting books. I always kept one copy for myself. I have more books than any normal person needs. But then again no one in the family says I'm normal.
Now it's next impossible to sell a book to the new generation. Only 50-60 yr. olds plus generation for the most part buy books anymore. The new computer age has done it. I have a nephew was has only read one book in his life and that was for a school report. Shame.

The Frontiersman by Allan W. Eckert is another great read on 1700's Ohio frontier. He is from Ohio and still lives up by Lima. His whole series I have read couple times and time to start over again. Pulled out the Frontiersman today.

Last edited:

Diablo54

Outside
Anything by Gary Paulson. Sp? He has several good ones about survival stories. Very good reads. Harrison and me is one of the best books I have ever read.

LonewolfNopack

The woods
I think every hunter should be required to read A Sand County Almanac by Aldo Leopold.

Also any Allan Eckert book about our states early history. Just give yourself a lot of time.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I have Eckert books close to every toilet in our home. I couldn't tell you how many times I've read the Frontiersman.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I bought an original hard cover of the Frontiersman at an auction in South Salem this spring and gave it to my dad. He just finished it up a couple weeks ago. It was all on toilet time.

At 626 pages that's lot of potty time. LOL. I probably have read it 4 times in the last 35 yrs. Got it out again today. The follow up books are great to. A must read.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I hate reading. Trying to change that about myself. Just ordered "Desert Solitaire" by Edward Abbey. It's about his summer spent in a fire watch tower out west. Looking forward to reading it.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I never could stand leisurely reading. Going back to school forced me to read a couple civil war books. Since then I've been more interested in reading in my free time. May have to read some of the books mentioned above.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

I just picked up the memorial edition of Chris Kyle American Sniper and plan to read it this week. The I'll transition to some deer hunting books. I would really love to find the old Roger Rothhaar books as I've never read them.

Huckleberry Finn

I just picked up the memorial edition of Chris Kyle American Sniper and plan to read it this week. The I'll transition to some deer hunting books. I would really love to find the old Roger Rothhaar books as I've never read them.

Decent but not a great read. Luttrell or Webb is better