Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

ODNR in trouble again. Ohio Inspector General Report.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Sixteen of 18 wildlife officers accused by the state inspector general of hunting while on the job returned to work today after the Ohio Department of Natural Resources cleared them of wrongdoing.

The officers were placed on paid leave on Dec. 13 after the office of Inspector General Randall J. Meyer concluded that they hunted deer while being paid or falsified records to obtain pay to which they were not entitled.

DNR cleared the officers after an investigation involving interviews and a review of telephone logs and vehicle GPS-tracking data, leading to a conclusion that “shoddy time-keeping and accountability” led to Meyer’s conclusions.

One of the officers retired since Meyer’s report was released and another officer has been referred for disciplinary action, said DNR spokeswoman Bethany McCorkle. She declined to immediately identify the officer facing discipline.

The inspector general’s office disagrees with DNR’s findings that only one of the officers apparently committed misconduct, said Carl Enslen, a deputy inspector general and Meyer’s spokesman.

“We stand by the report we put together. Their response does not alter our position,” Enslen said.

The inspector general’s report claimed that some of the wildlife officers killed as many as three deer on state time between 2009 and early 2011 in a comparison of deer-harvest records with officer work records.

The accused officers were from Adams, Belmont, Butler, Champaign, Columbiana, Defiance, Fayette, Franklin, Gallia, Geauga, Highland, Hocking, Holmes, Mercer, Sandusky, Stark, Vinton and Wyandot counties.

McCorkle said DNR reformed how officers, who often work flex time, account for their work time to ensure more accountability before Meyer’s report was issued.

The cleared wildlife officers, who had been assigned to administrative duties, were dispatched this morning to district offices to pick up their firearms and state vehicles, she said.

Citing legal advice, the officers had refused to be interviewed by inspector general investigators, but consented to interviews with DNR officials, McCorkle said.

The probe was sparked by an earlier investigation that resulted in the criminal convictions of two DNR wildlife officers who were deer hunting while on duty in Brown County. They are no longer with the department.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2014/02/04/odnr-employees-file-lawsuit.html

Milo

Tatonka guide.
maybe we need too sic Dave Yost on their asses like they did on Columbus public schools...

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
I'm glad they were cleared . Seems like a lot of wasted effort goin on a witch hunt that produced little.

loose_is_fast

McClure
I don't really see the problem. I know I will catch some flack for this but think of it this way. Obviously these guys love the outdoors and hunting. Can you imagine not being able to hunt when everyone else is. They could still be working while hunting. How many of you have been fishing the walleye run in the Maumee River and had a warden fishing right next to you and never knew it until he busts the guy just down the way for keeping a snag. I have seen it done a number of times. What is the difference.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I don't really see the problem. I know I will catch some flack for this but think of it this way. Obviously these guys love the outdoors and hunting. Can you imagine not being able to hunt when everyone else is. They could still be working while hunting. How many of you have been fishing the walleye run in the Maumee River and had a warden fishing right next to you and never knew it until he busts the guy just down the way for keeping a snag. I have seen it done a number of times. What is the difference.

Are you okay with them snagging fish and then writing you a ticket for doing the exact same thing?

LonewolfNopack

The woods

They no longer are allowed to do this either from my understanding. And being around hundreds of other people on a public water source with a lot of violoations going on is completely different then being 20 foot up a tree on private land away from everyone else

loose_is_fast

McClure
I'm not saying the tagging them in the wrong dates is ok. That was not all of them. I I believe if they are hunting and tagging legally and on public land they should be able to. I think they should have a slotted amt. of hours they could be in the field and paid for. I don't mean a full week or whenever they want.

LonewolfNopack

The woods
I agree with you that being undercover around many other hunters and anglers would be an effective method, unfortunately it is something that I am sure would get abused seeing the track record of DOW officers so far. I guess it would all go back to honesty and integrity, which it seems the division of wildlife does not promote.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio

I respectfully disagree. I had aspirations as a young fella in pursuing the career as a GW but realized I'd be the busiest during the hunting season. I chose not to for that very reason. Very often they use their position to lock up primo property to hunt. They know where many of the huge trophy deer range by reports and during observations on their patrols. Many hunt for trophy deer like the general population does. If they are in a treestand on primo property during the rut and a huge buck locks down a doe within a eyeshot of their perch and a call comes in that needs their immediate attention I'd highly doubt they'd shimmy down and blow a chance at that deer. I could be wrong but if I were in that position I'd sit as long as I could hoping for a shot but that's why I'm chose not to become a GW.

That's just my .02

Last edited:

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I respectfully disagree. I had aspirations as a young fella in pursuing the career as a GW but realized I'd be the busiest during the hunting season. I chose not to for that very reason. Very often they use their position to lock up primo property to hunt. They know where many of the huge trophy deer range by reports and during observations on their patrols. Many hunt for tro

I went to hocking college for wildlife management in hopes of being a GW but I partied TOO much:D

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Chad, as I was typing my screen went blank and posted what I had typed but was unfinished. Had to edit in my remaining text. Lol
Don't mean to bash ALL GW as not all are like I perceive. There is just so much corruption in government these days and when they get busted they get a "get out of jail free pass" and basically go on as business as usual.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I'm glad they were cleared . Seems like a lot of wasted effort goin on a witch hunt that produced little.

It produced a lot. What was done about what was produced was little (so far). Nothing new. The DNR protects their own. Even when the IG hands it to them on a silver platter.