Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Veteran Hunting opportunity for Jan 3-5

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Can I ask how you landed here and moreso, why us? Just curious as this was a huge gesture to essentially drop out of thin air. I'm very grateful you shared this with Chris as I know him to be a very deserving vet and hunter. It's a great thing you're doing.

Indeed a great thing and I think alot of the members are wondering the same thing. Purely out of respect for Chris and the expectation this will not be a let down. I hope you hang out and enjoy the site as this is the best in Ohio!

woodyw333

Cincinnati Oh
Can I ask how you landed here and moreso, why us? Just curious as this was a huge gesture to essentially drop out of thin air. I'm very grateful you shared this with Chris as I know him to be a very deserving vet and hunter. It's a great thing you're doing.

He told me that Travis contacted him wanting to offer a hunt in Ohio and he didnt know anyone up here so he went to google and clicked on the first one he saw, joined and posted. I talked to him for a few minutes and they mostly do hunts down in Texas untill Travis contacted him.

Speaking of, I talked to Travis tonight and he has every weekend in Jan open. However I was only comfortable with the 3-5th because of not knowing what is going on with the house I am trying to buy. They tell me sometime in January so I wanted to keep those weekends open until I find out more. As of right now we have the trip postponed until opening weekend of archery season 2014. If something changes yall will be one of the first to know.

And thank you all for the support thus far!!

texassmoker

He told me that Travis contacted him wanting to offer a hunt in Ohio and he didnt know anyone up here so he went to google and clicked on the first one he saw, joined and posted. I talked to him for a few minutes and they mostly do hunts down in Texas untill Travis contacted him.

Speaking of, I talked to Travis tonight and he has every weekend in Jan open. However I was only comfortable with the 3-5th because of not knowing what is going on with the house I am trying to buy. They tell me sometime in January so I wanted to keep those weekends open until I find out more. As of right now we have the trip postponed until opening weekend of archery season 2014. If something changes yall will be one of the first to know.

And thank you all for the support thus far!!

I googled what is the best hunting forum in ohio and this forum came up many times!
Yes we mostly do hunts in Texas, but that being said when a rancher in different states contact us we do our best to provide hunters, staff, goodies, etc.
I hope I do not put off a vibe of any of this being "shady".
This was a last second opportunity for a vet to get two days in the woods going after a good buck. The only problem is logistics, being we have hunts in Texas that weekend we dont have a pro staff available to be there with you. so for this hunt its an on your own with the rancher. Next year woody i will be there with you for archery as i have a cool idea to film your hunt just for you (like its your personal tv show)

ok long winded any other questions feel free to ask!

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
That is pretty awesome. I like the idea of the video as well. Maybe you could even upload it and put it on the site?

Keep us posted woody and thank you very much texassmoker for assisting our vets and picking one of our members to do this hunt.

texassmoker

Ya i would like to put it on the BBO site but its always up to the hunter we take by no means would i want a hunter to feel obligated for anything . . . and like i said i'll be around more as i want to get to meet you all !

woodyw333

Cincinnati Oh
Well I just got off the phone with Rick, (Texassmoker) and with my situtation if Dustin wants the hunt any weekend other than 3-5th is open and the hunt is his! Im just waiting on him to call me to get him all the info he needs.

I also want to let yall know that BBO Banded Brigade Outdoors and Rick is real and 100% Legit! We just had a good conversation and im excited to say the least from what is to come from these guys! There is a possibilty of them expanding their operation to the great State of Ohio to help the Vets up here, and I for one will help in any way I can. If you havent checked out the website yet you should.

Again Rick Thank You for this and all the other opportunitys that will possibably be coming!

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Ya i would like to put it on the BBO site but its always up to the hunter we take by no means would i want a hunter to feel obligated for anything . . . and like i said i'll be around more as i want to get to meet you all !

There are plenty of TOO gatherings you could try and attend. We usually have a summer bow shoot and a fall deer camp for the major outings of the year. I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunity to catch up to some of us during the summer and fall gatherings as well as some smaller gatherings here and there during the year.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County

Hell of a gesture buddy, can't wait to hear the stories!

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Woody I will be getting ahold of you sometime today. I just need to know when is the best time to call you. I TOO will keep everyone posted on how this all pans out. As of right now, I still have my buck tag and am excited to get my first buck.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Good luck to you both and thanks for serving this great nation. What a great jester.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Woody I will be getting ahold of you sometime today. I just need to know when is the best time to call you. I TOO will keep everyone posted on how this all pans out. As of right now, I still have my buck tag and am excited to get my first buck.

Good luck Dustin! We're all rooting for ya!

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Ok so here's the deal. I spoke with Woody yesterday afternoon. Seems like a solid dude. He will not be able to make it out there in January so the hunt was passed on to me. I spoke with the outfitter yesterday. I am all set up to go on the 17-18th. He sounds like a very small outfit, kind of an upstart. He has been in the Navy for 17 years. He is looking to finish up his 20 years and be a guide/land owner after that. I will be staying in the 1 cabin he has on his property. There is no running water, as of right now. He plans on plumbing it in next year. No big deal, I survived 2 tours of Iraq, this should be a cake walk. It has a wood burning stove for heat. I'm very excited for this. I will be bow hunting out of a shadow box blind. Never used one before. So a big thanks to Texassmoker and to Woodyw333. We didn't discuss whether or not the outfitter or the sponsor covers processing and mounting. I guess Ill find out in time. I really hope I'm able to bag a monster up there. Either way, I will keep everyone up to date on how things go.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ok so here's the deal. I spoke with Woody yesterday afternoon. Seems like a solid dude. He will not be able to make it out there in January so the hunt was passed on to me. I spoke with the outfitter yesterday. I am all set up to go on the 17-18th. He sounds like a very small outfit, kind of an upstart. He has been in the Navy for 17 years. He is looking to finish up his 20 years and be a guide/land owner after that. I will be staying in the 1 cabin he has on his property. There is no running water, as of right now. He plans on plumbing it in next year. No big deal, I survived 2 tours of Iraq, this should be a cake walk. It has a wood burning stove for heat. I'm very excited for this. I will be bow hunting out of a shadow box blind. Never used one before. So a big thanks to Texassmoker and to Woodyw333. We didn't discuss whether or not the outfitter or the sponsor covers processing and mounting. I guess Ill find out in time. I really hope I'm able to bag a monster up there. Either way, I will keep everyone up to date on how things go.

If you need the number of a good local processor, let me know. There is a good one right out the road from where you will be.

Also, if you've never hill hunted before, you're gonna love the scenery!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia

If you kill something you wanted mounted, I feel comfortable saying the fellas here on TOO would chip in to make that happen. So shoot a monster and consider the mount taken care from your brothers here at The Ohio Outdoors.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I googled what is the best hunting forum in ohio and this forum came up many times!
Yes we mostly do hunts in Texas, but that being said when a rancher in different states contact us we do our best to provide hunters, staff, goodies, etc.
I hope I do not put off a vibe of any of this being "shady".
This was a last second opportunity for a vet to get two days in the woods going after a good buck. The only problem is logistics, being we have hunts in Texas that weekend we dont have a pro staff available to be there with you. so for this hunt its an on your own with the rancher. Next year woody i will be there with you for archery as i have a cool idea to film your hunt just for you (like its your personal tv show)

ok long winded any other questions feel free to ask!

Thank you for your response and a HUGE thank you for extending this opportunity to the members here on TOO. I've had the pleasure of meeting Chris (woody) and he is as good as they make them. I have not met Dustin, but he's been a good fit here and any man that did 2 tours is a hero in my book. So on behalf of the members here on TOO, thank you for allowing us to witness you kind act!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Dustin, I was just contacted my a member who wishes to remain anonymous and said member will take care of your processing fees if/when needed. He will work directly with the processor on your behalf, so no worries their either.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Dustin, I was just contacted my a member who wishes to remain anonymous and said member will take care of your processing fees if/when needed. He will work directly with the processor on your behalf, so no worries their either.

And this member said he will take care of the caping cost TOO! So, Dustin you better shoot a good one! Lol

Gracious offer by this TOO member to take care of this.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Well holy hell. I wasn't expecting a response like this. Yall are some solid folks. Now I just hope I don't let you down. LOL. I guess I will need some contact numbers then. PM me when you guys get a chance so I can get your info. Thanks a ton.