Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

More about deer numbers...

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I forgot to add as a suggestion to help.. Raise nonresident license fees for deer to $500.

Per Tonk he'd love to raise the fees. He said the problem is the state legislature had to approve it and the state tourism board is highly against it. He said there has been movement and it should happen soon. Not 500 bucks but it'll be a raise. They'll also raise the resident fees. And they've been mulling a permit for public land and have started looking at hunter impact on public land deer.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Per Tonk he'd love to raise the fees. He said the problem is the state legislature had to approve it and the state tourism board is highly against it. He said there has been movement and it should happen soon. Not 500 bucks but it'll be a raise. They'll also raise the resident fees. And they've been mulling a permit for public land and have started looking at hunter impact on public land deer.

Permit to hunt public land? What I have heard from many, with all the pressure the land receives I have no desire to drive several hours to hunt it. Not a chance I would drive several hours to PAY to hunt it.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Permit to hunt public land? What I have heard from many, with all the pressure the land receives I have no desire to drive several hours to hunt it. Not a chance I would drive several hours to PAY to hunt it.

Precisely the reason for the impact study and permit. From what I understand it's because hunters are pounding the crap out of public land and they need to scale back. Hence limited permits and charge for them.

Schu72

Streetsboro

If they raise it too much they will start to lose meat hunter. Between gas, ammo, permits, etc, I'm probably paying $15/lb for ground meat as is.:smiley_blackeye:

Shoulder Blade

I think it would be funny if we all started having 100% late season success rates.

Imagine if everyone "filled" their tags over course of the remaining season.

That could skew the harvest numbers a bit.

Shoulder Blade

Don't do that, besides it being illegal, the idiots at the DNR think more deer killed means we have a higher population. lol

I'm talking an increase in harvest that would be quite obvious and send a message.

The legal aspect is something they have to prove.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I'm talking an increase in harvest that would be quite obvious and send a message.

The legal aspect is something they have to prove.

The problem is they think a high harvest means we have a higher population of deer.. If they see more deer killed in a county they raise the limit. dumb huh.

Shoulder Blade

The problem is they think a high harvest means we have a higher population of deer.. If they see more deer killed in a county they raise the limit. dumb huh.

I thought I read something to the extent that they would re-evaluate harvest goals if more deer were taken. I just think it would be funny if muzzleloader harvest increased 448%.

Anyways it seems like the level in which this fight needs to be taken to in order to make a change, isn't going to be done anytime soon and they know that. Deer hunting isn't that important to that many people.

Hunters fragmented/not unified, alleged lobbyist's threats of law suits, in combination with the fact that most hunters are conformists that do what the law says all contribute to why it is not going to change.

Nobody wants to take a year off. Nobody wants to skew harvest numbers (low or high) to mess with them. Very few people make odnr open houses a priority. Most forums can barely execute a group t-shirt buy, let alone lead a movement. Who is writing the governor? Most everyone wants a change but wants someone else to make it happen.

I feel like I am at work.

matthewusmc8791

NE Ohio
They are on the cutting edge of information bigslam.....kinda like North Korea

you say you wont pay... So does that mean when you go to WY, you will only hunt on ranch property??? FYI, If you look on the map of WY and see where CWD is mainly located, the majority of CDW areas are in the ranch land.. Ranch land also the public land you still need a permit to hunt and you odds are the same.. JMTC

Milo

Tatonka guide.
you say you wont pay... So does that mean when you go to WY, you will only hunt on ranch property??? FYI, If you look on the map of WY and see where CWD is mainly located, the majority of CDW areas are in the ranch land.. Ranch land also the public land you still need a permit to hunt and you odds are the same.. JMTC

I never said anything about not paying..

matthewusmc8791

NE Ohio

Hey Jack, where are these communications from Tonk?? Does he post here? I'd really like to get more people to view this. I've been forwarding these email strings to many of my friends and have them following this discussion. My only concern is that we all have opinions on the matter which is great, but we need facts.. I really think if we has hunters keep voicing our opinions to these assholes and making it public what a screw up they are and what they have done, someone will be in deep shit. JMTC..

Their screw up has really impacted a lot and they caused the problem with the big business ass kiss..

beaston

If they raise it too much they will start to lose meat hunter. Between gas, ammo, permits, etc, I'm probably paying $15/lb for ground meat as is.:smiley_blackeye:

Yeah, but you love every minute of it.

Pay to hunt public would be great if they reinvested funds to purchase more or better yet just leased the land so the public schools aren't paying the price.