Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Late season feeding

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
In the attempts to get my oldest son a shot at a buck with his bow, I'm going to get the feeder out. Problem... Turkey!!! The property I'd like to use this on is loaded with hens.

Any suggestions on something to use in the feeder that the turkey won't devour?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Yep. Ear corn. Turkeys leave it alone for the most part. Not as "timely" as a feeder, but it will limit the use by other animals. Big issue being its bulky, hard to find, and really doesn't last a whole lot longer IMO. My deer eat 75lbs of shelled in the same time they eat 75 of ear. Obviously there's more net corn with the shelled and it costs more. However it is easier to transport and in most cases, that is of high importance...

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
In regard to the feeder, I already have one. Based on info in another thread, I was going to set it to feed only in the morning to try and keep night feeding to a minimum.

Ear corn is an option, if I can find some. The farmer I got it from last year didn't sell it this year.

Anybody ever use beef pellets or anything like that? Turkey bother that?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Not I. I've used dried molasses mixed in and the turkeys left it alone. Ain't cheap, but the deer will tear it up. Can't use much though cause it'll freeze. Maybe 5-10 per 50 of corn.

I like the Monster Raxx Magnet also. Not sure why, but nothing eats corn treated in that but deer. Not even coons. Pretty amazing results even if that was unintended.