Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Property MGT Tool?

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I know Im crazy cause deer season isnt even over yet but Im thnking about land mgt projects for next year. I need a good web program, easy to use, that I can draw on.

I want to be able to see the arial of my property, and draw plots, trails, hinge cut areas, stand locations,potentail stand locations, etc..

Anyone use anything like this?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I second Google Earth. Can't help much with how to use it. I just wing it and have figured it out as I have used it more.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
sweet! Ill mess with it for sure! I thought you ment google maps! Ive never tried google earth.

Huckleberry Finn

Can't beat Google Earth. You can do a lot with their tools.

Bing also has some great maps. Take a screen shot, copy & paste into good ole Paint, and map away.

Gordo

Athens County
My mind still gets blown with that 3d/satellite feature on google earth. Phenomenal how you can really dig in and see the terrain.

I remember just being able to look at a direct over head view. Down here in the hills that 3d view is priceless.

I spend many of hours crackin out on it. Awesome

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Bing aerials are great, but Google Earth gives you a lot more options in terms of mapping. I use both, along with Terrain Navigator for my topos.

Huckleberry Finn

Google Earth and ArcGIS Explorer are hard to beat when it comes to freeware.

I know someone that decided to not continue paying their subscription for ArcGIS bc Google Earth was so damn close, only not $15,000. I didn't know that Esri had a free download, gonna do that right now.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I know someone that decided to not continue paying their subscription for ArcGIS bc Google Earth was so damn close, only not $15,000. I didn't know that Esri had a free download, gonna do that right now.

Yeah, it just depends on what you're use requirements are. If it's just basic map creation and general viewing, the freeware like Google Earth will work just fine. But ArcGIS software (and the like) will do some amazing things with data if you want it to. There really aren't any analytical or geoprocessing tools available with the free stuff. Luckily most of us don't need any of that! lol