Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Question for all of you

JMcDowell

I previously hunted in Ohio, but did so only in archery seasons. I have since taken up coyote hunting while living in Pennsylvania, and now that I am back in Ohio and seriously able to get back into the groove of hunting, my question is can I still use one of the rifles I previously used in PA, (ex. .243, .308, 30-06) or do I need to get a shotgun that shoots slugs/a muzzle loader?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Seems silly we cannot use them for deer, but you are allowed to use them for groundhogs or coyotes. Pretty sure the regulations have the specifics, but there is no mention of high calibers being a no no.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
You can use a rifle for coyotes except during deer gun seasons. You have to use legal deer gun weapons during this time.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Yes. And you must wear orange while coyote hunting during deer gun season. I could not find a reg stating such, but I was under the impression you cannot spotlight coyotes during deer gun season either. Not sure if that is true or not...

A Hunter CAN...

Hunt coyote and feral swine (wild boar) during the deer gun season, the youth deer gun season, the antlerless deer muzzleloader season with a hunting license and a valid deer permit, using firearms legal for deer hunting while visibly wearing a vest, coat, jacket, or coverall colored solid hunter orange or camouflage hunter orange. A valid deer permit is one that has not been filled out and used to check a deer.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Yes. And you must wear orange while coyote hunting during deer gun season. I could not find a reg stating such, but I was under the impression you cannot spotlight coyotes during deer gun season either. Not sure if that is true or not...

A Hunter CAN...

Pretty much true. Cannot hunt them after dark during any of the gun seasons is pretty much telling us you cannot spotlight them. Any other time of the year is acceptable to hunt day or night.