Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Braydons first antlered deer.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I will Never forget this day as long as I live. Many things did not go as planned for My Grandsons hunting season but it all lead to success. Braydon is only 7 but sure likes hunting. In the driveway, his shooting skills are spot-on as well. His first day in the woods, two bucks came in, he got buck fever and shot a foot over a bucks back. Second day hunting, he did bring home a B-Buck. But again, he got nervous and shot the wrong deer up the butt. Trips 3, 4 and 5 we didn't see but one deer and it was about 60 yds off.
We had planned to hunt on Saturday, but when I called for him, he decided he wanted to play and he would hunt on Sunday. I was a little bummed, but he is 7 ya know. Sunday I was running a little late getting him. I had wanted to get a new blind and put it where some bucks were showing up. Not enough time, so maybe we could hunt there behind a brush blind I put in? No, because Braydon wanted to play his game while waiting.......WTH....OK, we'll just go down to the creek blind and play the "Just Maybe" thing. I believe he was as bored as I was. We had not seen anything but 9 squirrels having a ball on our corn pile. About the time I was thinking it was another bust, all the squirrels ran off a little ways. Down the hill came a small buck! Finally! This buck took forever to get up the creek bank. Once up, I noticed he had a fairly bad limp on the left rear leg. Who cares, he's 7 and it's got horns~~be his biggest one yet! He finally turned sideways and the inside leg was forwards....."Shoot him I whispered". Didn't see what happened as I was trying to video the shot. I heard a light noise with the crossbow noise.....then heard a funny noise just as the deer 1/2 trotted off. I was thinking????? This is not good, but looked like the alumi nock was right at the deer? Braydon says I hit him PaPaw. The arrow was in the ground and glowing.....We waited because the sound and all was "Just not right at all, I had a sick feeling" I didn't say anything yet, but I just knew it was not good. Waited like 10 or 15 minutes and started to phone a friend and tell him it was not looking good...... (Questionable shot and had to be getting Braydon home). Just as he answered, Braydon says there's another buck PaPaw. I thought it was the one we shot leaving the area maybe. When I looked out the blind, I couldn't even talk.....I hung up on my buddy....... No Way I Can Pull This Off! But instinct took over and I had Braydons bow up against my chest before I knew it. Adrenaline cocked that bow is all I can tell you. Normally you have to use a cocker on it. He is still there! Arrow bouncing off the rail and making noise....and here he comes! Braydon got ready and I still could NOT BELIEVE we were still in this. The buck would not turn......his tail got stiff and started to rise...... he was looking at the blind really hard and I knew this was it. I done something I knew I should not have to a 7 year old but I had to make a call on this RIGHT NOW! Serious look at the angle and pulled Braydon close to me. Take your time young man, this needs to be a good shot. Put the crosshairs just inside the leg at the bottom of the neck (and I touched Braydons neck right where I meant to shoot). He looked at me very serious and shook his head.....I could almost hear him saying "I got this PaPaw". As he was bearing down on the scope, I sorta looked at the sky and though "Oh Please!". When I looked back at the deer, the aluma nock sunk in clear to the nock right where I touched Braydon......PERFECT! The buck came unglued and Braydon says I Got Him PaPaw! I Got Him Good! We watched the alumi nock and deer dive over the creek and up the hill. At the top, it stopped.....then the red glow seemed to do a circle or question mark pattern. "Oh I hope he just went down". I phoned several people to pass time and let Braydons Dad know we were gonna be late but it had to be this way. He was real happy and hoping for the best.
After like 20 minutes, we went to the shot area....nothing. Went to where he jumped the creek......nothing. Knew I should back out, but just couldn't because I had to find blood! No blood or hair anywhere! I was beginning to feel sick......at the top of the hill, Braydon says PaPaw, it's right there! I seen the red glow and it was not moving. Braydon started to run and I grabbed him. I stepped up on a log and put the flashlight on him........horns wrapped around a tree and tongue is out! YEA BABY! Now we're both running! When I pulled the horns up for a good look, Braydon say's "Pretty Nice One PaPaw" I remember grabbing Braydon and telling him "Right now it's the Best Deer in the Whole State".
The first arrow had no hair or blood on it, I looked for 3 hrs the next day just to make sure. I seen a "nick" in the blind and believe the broadhead done it. Going over the second sound, I believe the fletchings slapped the bucks belly.
I know I took a chance that I normally would not have. Greed or Gut Feeling, I'm not sure.....something said "Go for it" and I did. Truth is: As I set here right now, I am half amazed and half ashamed I put that much faith into his shooting....... I have a feeling deep inside that say's my Dad had something to do with this just like he did on ZJ's first nice buck. Often, I look up and say "Hey 'Ol Buddy, how about pushing one our way today?" I know him and my Mom are as Proud of Braydon as I am! There's a certain little 7 year old that's pretty proud TOO!

HPIM2125.jpg

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Nice write up, Rick! Tough call in the heat of the moment. With the rush of adrenaline and desire to get him his first buck. . . .hard to say what most of us would do unless we were in your shoes. Just glad it worked out. Congrats again to you and the little man.